• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Variable line out (TV) question

nygafre

Cheers,

I have a very(!) newbie question. On my Sony LCD TV I have a line out, which I can either set to ‘fixed’ or ‘variable’.

If using it w/ variable setting, I can control the volume by the TV remote. Is the variable line out then acting as a pre amp? (Or something else.. I guess that would be ‘variable line out’).

I am asking because I was contemplating to connect the TV to a power amp if it is actually functioning as a preamp.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably variable line out. As long as you can control the volume, most likely it will work ok.

OP
nygafre

nygafre

Probably variable line out. As long as you can control the volume, most likely it will work ok.
Ok, thanks. Can you explain the difference between variable line out and a pre amp?

Do I risk anything by connecting the poweramp to the variable line out?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, thanks. Can you explain the difference between variable line out and a pre amp?

I know nothing about TV sound like that. But if the volume can be adjusted, you should be able to use it.

These days, a "preamp" is often just a switch box, unless you need special amplification for a thing like a phono cartridge.

JayGilb

Major Contributor

The variable line out is using the software of your tv to control the line level signal going to your poweramp and is acting as a preamp.
A preamp is a device which controls/modifies the line level signal prior to it going into a poweramp.

The risk of using your tv as a preamp would be the possibility of someone switching the tv back to fixed level output and possible damaging components and speakers downstream.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The variable line out is using the software of your tv to control the line level signal going to your poweramp and is acting as a preamp.
A preamp is a device which controls/modifies the line level signal prior to it going into a poweramp.

The risk of using your tv as a preamp would be the possibility of someone switching the tv back to fixed level output and possible damaging components and speakers downstream.
Good point. I wonder if one can fix it in variable mode.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fixed line out should still be fairly low level as it's intended to go to something like an AVR or pre amp where you would use an external volume so I suspect you are ok. But it would be good to see what the specs say about the fixed line out voltage.

OP
nygafre

nygafre

Thank’s for the clarification!
Yes, and that sure leaves me a bit nervous. It is quite tricky navigating to the exact settings/setting page, so I don’t believe anyone random would change the settings (only me in the household too :p).

But I am worried because at some point somethings always happens with these things. Could be as simple as resetting the TV setting, where I forget all about the settings myself.. feels risky.
Fixed line out should still be fairly low level as it's intended to go to something like an AVR or pre amp where you would use an external volume so I suspect you are ok. But it would be good to see what the specs say about the fixed line out voltage.
Yes but not easy to find.. hmm

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
that ^^^ is most importantly good cautionary advice...

Top Bottom