• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vanity Pro HDMI Audio Extractor

Dacapalooza

This would be an absolute dream device for me, except that it doesn't seem to have the one feature that I really want: adjustable delay (for lipsyncing adjustment). It seems like such an easy feature they could add though, since they rebuffer everything....
Agreed! Would be great to have audio/video delays!

You need audio or video delay?
If audio, nearly every HDMI device I ever owned, gives/gave the ability to delay audio. What HDMI devices do you have?
If video, options are way more limited. Still investigating.
My investigation: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...best-way-to-add-hdmi-4k-3d-video-delay.27739/

My audio is delayed 60ms ,(Trinnov D-Mon: 49ms; Acoustic delay: 11ms), and my PJ is 40ms. So I need 20ms video delay.
I am not experiencing LipSync issues, nor should I, as 20ms is not even half frame. Nevertheless, I am endeavoring to Sync as it seems like fun thing to do.

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Agreed! Would be great to have audio/video delays!

You need audio or video delay?
If audio, nearly every HDMI device I ever owned, gives/gave the ability to delay audio. What HDMI devices do you have?
If video, options are way more limited. Still investigating.
My investigation: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...best-way-to-add-hdmi-4k-3d-video-delay.27739/

My audio is delayed 60ms ,(Trinnov D-Mon: 49ms; Acoustic delay: 11ms), and my PJ is 40ms. So I need 20ms video delay.
I am not experiencing LipSync issues, nor should I, as 20ms is not even half frame. Nevertheless, I am endeavoring to Sync as it seems like fun thing to do.

The problem is that my TV only allows one delay to be set. So I can set a delay for the external audio system on the TV and that works when I'm running my rig, but when my wife then listens to the TV through the built-in TV speakers, the audio is all wrong.

Dacapalooza

The problem is that my TV only allows one delay to be set. So I can set a delay for the external audio system on the TV and that works when I'm running my rig, but when my wife then listens to the TV through the built-in TV speakers, the audio is all wrong.
Easy solution: Remote
System On = One mode. Turn on "my rig"
BTW: Maybe the real underlying issue: "Our Rig" :p

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Ahhh so close to being great.

Might still be great. Will wait for your remote update (please) :)
Not an issue for me since my DACs have their own volume controls (with RC) as does my player.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Not an issue for me since my DACs have their own volume controls (with RC) as does my player.

Yes - not sure which option you ordered but the one with 8 x analogue XLR outputs is of interest to me.

Hooked up to power amps.

But only if there's a remote volume control.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Yes - not sure which option you ordered but the one with 8 x analogue XLR outputs is of interest to me.

Hooked up to power amps.

But only if there's a remote volume control.
AFAIK, there are no options with any analog outputs. This box extracts the digital audio from HDMI and has digital outputs to feed your DAC(s).

Music1969

Major Contributor
AFAIK, there are no options with any analog outputs. This box extracts the digital audio from HDMI and has digital outputs to feed your DAC(s).
I misinterpreted XLR here. This must be AES3 then

A6066047-8914-43DC-B751-D7C5EF11ECC9.jpeg

Parametric

Hi,

I'm a bit confused about this decoding thingy.
I want to playback 7.1 digitally from my blu-ray player (Sony UBP-X800M2) and/or NVIDIA shield pro to my Genelec system using this device with an HDMI switch. Will I be able to swap between HDMI inputs and have the VanityPRO decode the input correctly to my Gens? I will have GLM connected at all times. Thanks.

gondorff

Hey, depending on context, might be that your question is not really applicable here. The box (Vanity Pro) is just splitting one HDMI signal up into 4 pairs of AES/EBU. The decoding of DTS/DD has to happen somewhere else, in your BD-Player, for example. The player will output PCM over HDMI, send this to the Vanity, Vanity splits it up (extracts) to AES, AES will 'transport' it to the studio monitor. Have a look at the feature description:
• Up to 8-channel 192kHz/24bit PCM and 6-channel DSD64 audio extraction.

One issue here, and with most other BD-players, is, that there is no option to downconvert the 7.1 stream to 3.1, 2.0 (a bit of imited use here, 2.0 is embedded in TrueHD) 4.0 or whatever falls in between, if I see that correctly. Not an issue if you are sitting on a 7.1 to start with, thought.

In case the Shield can output PCM over HDMI, you should be able to switch inputs, presumed basic working interoperability between the components. Can not see something going astray here.

Last edited:

gondorff

That may depend on how you look at the options to decode and send completely in the digital realm: It is, as far as I know, the sole device to extract PCM out of HDMI and send it as AES, whitout any other box in between. There is, unfortunately, almost no other way to get the data digitally up to the speaker, Trinnov et al. excluded.
The box is probably of limited use considering the Digigram/Lynx-AES-HTPC-route. Personally, I do not like JRiver at all.
At least, there is the possibility of a very clean and lean system buried within the scope of operation of that box

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Hi,

I'm a bit confused about this decoding thingy.
I want to playback 7.1 digitally from my blu-ray player (Sony UBP-X800M2) and/or NVIDIA shield pro to my Genelec system using this device with an HDMI switch. Will I be able to swap between HDMI inputs and have the VanityPRO decode the input correctly to my Gens? I will have GLM connected at all times. Thanks.
I will be testing that config next week.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I don't see the usefulness of this device to be honest when it can't decode neither DTS or Dolby formats.
Set your player to output PCM when playing such formats.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I guess if you use Genelecs with built-in room correction this device might be attractive to some.
I am hoping to see if the Okto DAC8 will let me loop the AES/EBU input out the USB for processing and then out the analog outputs. If not, I can use my miniDSP NanoAVR HD between the player and the input to the VanityPro. It can also serve as an HDMI switch!
Can you please confirm whether you get 7.1 output from an Apple TV 4K? Thank you!
Would be nice to know. No promise because the VP and the Apple TV 4K are in different systems/house/states.

Top Bottom