• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vandersteen VLR Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 225 89.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 7.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 6 2.4%

• Total voters

itz_all_about_the_music

Seriously? You think comparing consumer to pro gear proves your point? I'd try just a bit harder next time.
You wrote "...their gear definitely isn't furniture grade". Pro schmo - the point was aesthetics. I.e., a set of principles concerned with the nature and appreciation of beauty, especially in art. It's in that vein.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You wrote "...their gear definitely isn't furniture grade". Pro schmo - the point was aesthetics. I.e., a set of principles concerned with the nature and appreciation of beauty, especially in art. It's in that vein.
Do you know what furniture grade means and just a hint, it's not IKEA.

itz_all_about_the_music

Revel with tamper-proof door knob sized grill fasteners. A lovely piece of industrial furniture. All bits "attached" as some here seem to demand.
Revel_Grill_Fasteners.jpg

itz_all_about_the_music

The simple fact of the woofer being “on” the baffle instead of flush is an almost immediate sign that the response will be jagged. Even moreso with the frame being cut to fit on the sides
vandersteen-vlr-ct-speakers-driver-2.png.ashx
Attached, copied without permission from www.vandersteen.com Forums page, the loudspeaker designer comments on the need for the grill to be attached.
Vandersteen Grill Effects Comment.jpg

MarkS

Major Contributor
Yes, of course, it's obvious that this speaker is designed to be used with the grilles on, just like it's obvious that the Revel F206/F208 is designed to be used with grilles off.

A damn shame that neither speaker's manual points this out, but I suppose that sort of truth in packaging was nixed by the marketing people.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Attached, copied without permission from www.vandersteen.com Forums page, the loudspeaker designer comments on the need for the grill to be attached. View attachment 218888
So you found another example of someone finding it natural to use them without grill. I suggest you write the company and complain, not to me. And ask them to show the before and after measurement of the said grill. Then we can tell if it is an opinion being expressed or facts.

itz_all_about_the_music

So you found another example of someone finding it natural to use them without grill. I suggest you write the company and complain, not to me. And ask them to show the before and after measurement of the said grill. Then we can tell if it is an opinion being expressed or facts.
You wrote "...without grill" yet the Vandersteen Forum, with Mr. Vandersteen's words, states emphatically to USE the grills. Typo? Freudian thing?

No "complaints" here for ASR or Vandersteen. Just sharing information from a loudspeaker manufacturer for ASR readers to consume.

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You wrote "...without grill" yet the Vandersteen Forum, with Mr. Vandersteen's words, states emphatically to USE the grills. Typo? Freudian thing?

No "complaints" here for ASR or Vandersteen. Just sharing information from a loudspeaker manufacturer for ASR readers to consume.

No. The end user thought it was perfectly reasonable to take them off and only discovered the manufacturer's recommendation after posting on the manufacturer's forum.

In hindsight yes, it would have been better to test this particular model with the grill on - an exception to standard design and practice - but given all the other shortcomings of the design it's perfectly reasonable for Amir to decide that it's not worth the time to retest it with the grill on.

itz_all_about_the_music

No. The end user thought it was perfectly reasonable to take them off and only discovered the manufacturer's recommendation after posting on the manufacturer's forum.

In hindsight yes, it would have been better to test this particular model with the grill on - an exception to standard design and practice - but given all the other shortcomings of the design it's perfectly reasonable for Amir to decide that it's not worth the time to retest it with the grill on.
Who are you referring to as the "end user"? Maybe you're reading something I missed. The person who posted on Vandersteen's Forum, name not shown, didn't utter a word about grills. Sure, the grills happen to be removed in the photo to which Mr. Vandersteen commented as he did.

In hindsight, yes, I agree. If so, maybe the manufacturer wouldn't have been so severly punished in this forum as heretics were in the Middle Ages. Or that might not have made any difference in our current age of gleeful ostracism.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure there is much more to be had on this grille question here. Amir has explained why he tested without, there is no longer any way to test differently and am sure he will consider for future reviews.

If Richard Vandersteen is not complaining, not sure there is anything more that can be done at this point.:)

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Who are you referring to as the "end user"? Maybe you're reading something I missed. The person who posted on Vandersteen's Forum, name not shown, didn't utter a word about grills. Sure, the grills happen to be removed in the photo to which Mr. Vandersteen commented as he did.

I'm kinda of dumbfounded here...

The end user is the OP quoted by Richard Vandersteen. The picture is evidence he thought it was perfectly reasonable to use the speakers without the grills.

My point is that that the average person will remove grills from a speaker unless they need to protect it from kids or pets. If the grills are an integral part of the design then they should be screwed in or something.

MarkS

Major Contributor
My point is that that the average person will remove grills from a speaker unless they need to protect it from kids or pets. If the grills are an integral part of the design then they should be screwed in or something.
Maybe the average single person ...

And I am not average. I strongly prefer the grilles-on look.

And so I look for speakers that are designed to be used that way without compromising the sound. Alas there are not very many out there.

itz_all_about_the_music

I'm kinda of dumbfounded here...

The end user is the OP quoted by Richard Vandersteen. The picture is evidence he thought it was perfectly reasonable to use the speakers without the grills.

The OP's pic is "...evidence"? It's come to this??

Evidence.jpg

itz_all_about_the_music

Wondering if the Linkwitz LX521.4 Owner's Manual specifies not to do this. Otherwise...well, we know Murphy's Law.
Linkwitz.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a good thing these are dirt cheap. Oh, wait...

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
That is the truth! A very, very poor showing. Almost took the LGK 2.0 spot as #1.

Top Bottom