• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vandersteen 3A Signature

P12nash

I’m debating building or purchasing some high speakers for 2 channel audio. I heard some Vandersteen recently and loved the detail of the sound. I’d like to reproduce something in that realm of quality, or otherwise purchase a pair.

I currently have a 5.1 home theater setup from cambridge soundworks that consists of (3) MC305, (2) S205 surrounds, and a BassCube105 subwoofer. These are connected to a Yamaha RX-V677 that I play Spotify through the built in streamer, lossless digital files off of my laptop connected with an optical cable, and an Audio Technica AT-120-USB turntable. I will likely keep this system connected to my tv and start over for an audio only system.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good starting point for a kit or plan? Looking around so far I’m very interested in the CSS Criton 2TD-X Tower with the crossover upgrade. I would consider also a center channel if it’s recommended. How would these compare to the Vandersteens? What other options should I be looking at to build?

I appreciate any and all help anyone is able to provide as I start out in this endeavor. Thanks

DanielT

Major Contributor
Hello,

Here you can check and see if any are suitable for you:

Note regarding Troels. It is not certain that you can order speaker elements because some of his kits are a bit older, now obsolete, speaker elements.And: Since 2014, all schematics are closed, i.e. crossover components' values only comes with purchase of the kit. The reason for this can be read here. Crossover schematics cannot be bought alone.
When I think about it now, I do not know the status of Troels kit. Maybe someone else knows? So if they can be ordered, which kits can be ordered and so on.

Amir has tested some speaker kits. I have in mind that there was some that seemed really good. If those kits can be ordered now I do not know. Search, see attached picture.

Feel free to tell us if you see any that you find interesting.:)

Attachments

• shot_2021-12-22_19-14-29.png
    shot_2021-12-22_19-14-29.png
    283.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
OP
P

P12nash

Thanks for the quick response. I’ll take a look at those and post any that pique my interest. I’ve also found meniscus statement ii that look interesting to me

DanielT

Major Contributor
Depending on your experience of DIY, speakers, carpentry and so on. If this is the first time, a couple of cheaper ones are easier to start with. It's to see if this is something you like. Some smaller bookshelf/tripod speakers that you then have as extra speakers.:)

Also check out more dedicated DIY sites. Find out what's popular in your country. It can be easier if you find local alternatives / kits. Cheaper to order parts, kits

Go to fairs like this, if you have the opportunity. Get tips, inspiration and make new contacts and friendships. Above all, it's damn fun.:p

Here if you want to test:

Last edited:
OP
P

P12nash

I’m very capable diy wise but have no speaker building experience. I’m certainly comfortable with soldering and carpentry work. I don’t have any hesitation about the diy part- more the selection and lack of ability to hear them before purchase

DanielT

Major Contributor
I’m very capable diy wise but have no speaker building experience. I’m certainly comfortable with soldering and carpentry work. I don’t have any hesitation about the diy part- more the selection and lack of ability to hear them before purchase
It sounds good. Then you will fix a pair of DIY kit speakers, there will be no problems. :)

As for speakers, getting a pair unheard of there I completely agree with you. I also want to listen to speakers before I decide to buy (whether ready-made or DIY kits).Alternatively, buy used ones without listening to them before buying. They can then sell if you do not like them.

Other Hifi stuff, no problem to buy without listening. DAC for example. By the way, I do not think you hear any difference there. There are lots of modern DACs with good performance at a low price that have inaudible levels of distortion + noise and nail-straight frequency response.:)

I liked these, from the fair I mentioned, but it does not help you because it is my taste. Yes! You said you were experienced DIY. You can keep this in mind, if you have access to a 3D printer, you can DIY your own waveguide for your tweeter.:)

Attachments

• IMG_4299 (2) (4).jpg
    IMG_4299 (2) (4).jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Top Bottom