• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vanatoo Transparent Zero Speaker Review

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't EQ frequencies below 300 Hz. The bass region should be equalized based on the in-room response, not the anechoic response.

That's not an excuse for having a poor performing speaker below the transition frequency.

The PIR score is 44% sound power, if the speaker is not throwing sound consistently over the entire range then it will not sound 'right'.

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The PIR score is 44% sound power, if the speaker is not throwing sound consistently over the entire range then it will not sound 'right'.
An unequalized speaker will never sound right in the bass region due to room modes.
The predicted preference rating model doesn't care what's going on below 100 Hz, except for the -6 dB point, which I think is justified. Bass extension is important, anechoically flat bass is not.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An unequalized speaker will never sound right in the bass region due to room modes.
The predicted preference rating model doesn't care what's going on below 100 Hz, except for the -6 dB point, which I think is justified. Bass extension is important, anechoically flat bass is not.

there is more than entire octave between 100 Hz and 300 Hz.

what about people who would potentially use this speaker in large rooms and don't have to deal with room modes at such frequencies?

it's just not a good work ethics that's all. I would keep speaker correction and room correction seperate or otherwise Amir might as well start the sweeps at 300 Hz.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
what about people who would potentially use this speaker in large rooms and don't have to deal with room modes at such frequencies?

That's not the intended use of this speaker. Just like any normal person wouldn't try stuffing a pair of enormous 5 ways into a small bedroom.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's not the intended use of this speaker. Just like any normal person wouldn't try stuffing a pair of enormous 5 ways into a small bedroom.

the room doesn't have to be that large for the transition frequency to drop below 300 Hz.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
the room doesn't have to be that large for the transition frequency to drop below 300 Hz.
"there is more than entire octave between 100 Hz and 300 Hz. "

Do you put wheels on the goalposts?

warpdrive

To be clear, I would not use these speakers if they come with the treble rise as shown. But if you apply equalization (at least with the treble control), then these are nice set of speakers and I can recommend them.

I really would have liked to see how flat you can get the speakers with the built-in EQ. It seems part of the appeal of this speaker is that it's a one stop shop. You can plug a variety of devices into it, and it auto powers on and selects among the sources. With the built in DSP/EQ, it would be applied to all your sources. If you can use the built in DSP, to knock down that treble hump, you have a really nice nearfield speaker with decently accurate tonality that takes up very little room on your desktop.

Last edited:

Smitty2k1

Anyone have any thoughts on the new Vanatoo Zero Plus?

Currently have a Wiim and Topping DX3Pro+ along with my PC for a desktop setup but looking to add speakers. Split between amp+passives or some active speakers.

HeadDoc12

Anyone have any thoughts on the new Vanatoo Zero Plus?

Currently have a Wiim and Topping DX3Pro+ along with my PC for a desktop setup but looking to add speakers. Split between amp+passives or some active speakers.
I love mine. I am not a producer or engineer, but they play music very well. They are EXTREMELY flexible, with lots of configuration options (that actually intimidate me a bit), not counting the option to angle them up or have them set up like typical speakers. My room is not too big, and I am using them for 90% nearfield. No regrets.

Smitty2k1

I love mine. I am not a producer or engineer, but they play music very well. They are EXTREMELY flexible, with lots of configuration options (that actually intimidate me a bit), not counting the option to angle them up or have them set up like typical speakers. My room is not too big, and I am using them for 90% nearfield. No regrets.
Are you using them in conjunction with headphones? I've got my Topping DX3Pro+ that's a dac/headphone amp and I could use the analog out from that to the Vanatoo, but I read somewhere the Vanatoo performs better with digital in due to all the DSP being done digitally, so it skips an additional ADC/DAC.

HeadDoc12

Are you using them in conjunction with headphones? I've got my Topping DX3Pro+ that's a dac/headphone amp and I could use the analog out from that to the Vanatoo, but I read somewhere the Vanatoo performs better with digital in due to all the DSP being done digitally, so it skips an additional ADC/DAC.
Yeah, I just have them plugged into the USB port. I don't know what you might be giving up if you go analog.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Erins review and measurements of the Vanatoo Transparent Zero Plus;

CEA2034-Vanatoo-Transparent-Zero-Plus.png

Smitty2k1

Been a busy month of buying audio gear. The T0+ just came (black Friday purchase). Wiim Pro refurb replaced a Wiim Mini so I could use PEQ and LMS. Also have those Hifiman b stock headphones for $60 coming tomorrow.

Happy with the size of the T0+. They look better in person than I thought they would. Design seemed kinda ugly but removing the little handle makes a big difference.

Still need to play around with the DSP

Attachments

• 20231218_152342.jpg
    20231218_152342.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 62
Top Bottom