• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vanatoo Transparent One Encore (Powered Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 32 14.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 160 71.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 29 12.9%

• Total voters

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice. I imagine if you run it sans sub, then to many it may sound better than similarly small speakers with a higher drop off in the bass. Perhaps this is worth emphasizing. A lot of these smaller speakers are satellites + buy your own sub, not so with this one, by the looks of it.

I'm eager to see how the Mackie HR824mk2 fares. Bit larger and more expensive, but also with a passive radiator. Do you have one of these lined up in future, Amir?

This might hold you over until then, though it's the original ones.

Second post has better graphs, and it looks like there is a directivity error with the Mackie's too. A lot better bass handling though, I enjoyed the HR824 v2 pair when I had it, but there was a slight rattle in my used pair so I returned them.

PeteL

Major Contributor
From what my research has dug up, this Vanatoo (or its little brother the T0), or the Eve SC203 represent about as much performance as you can pack into a small box.
I Highly doubt that can perform better than the Genelec 8020 which is smaller a bit. Happy to be proven wrong... Now even the 8010, now we are talking tiny... will not have the extension in the bass maybe... In all cases, there are a few proven performers in the tiny desktop category, I don't feel what I see here show the end all absolute of how much performance in a shoebox size speaker.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder how the Klipsch THX desktop system measures. I have 2 of them and with the sub they sound pretty good for tiny drivers. The Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system.

WesParker

I was curious about the sub out and checked the manual. The sub out actually has a real crossover. So often sub outputs are an after thought and are lazily implemented with just a 120 Hz low pass on the sub out with no actual crossover.
The subwoofer output actually changes the “mode” of the speaker and it retunes the dsp for the active speakers as well as providing a tuned sub output. These speakers get quite loud when paired with a subwoofer.

I also think they sound better with the limiter turned off, which is not the default setting.

digicidal

Major Contributor
I hear you, but based on Amir's testing, I'd say the king so far in the category seams to be Adam T5V, 400$ a pair. It was mentioned to be a "no contest" Against JBL LSR or Kali. Looks much better to me too. Of course digital inputs is a nice feat that none of those offer tough.
I love my T7Vs and they were still cheaper than this pair... but only because I already had a remote controlled DAC (an AVP in my case) with balanced outputs and cables on hand. You'd be hard pressed to find a DAC with as many input options, remote control, and tuned sub preout for under $200.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The foot-print of Kali IN-5 is much larger than this T1E (581 cm^2 vs 315 cm^2).

True, but the price differential is minor and overall performance is considerably better. That said, if you need the extra features and/or are short on desktop real estate, it's a pretty danged decent choice.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I Highly doubt that can perform better than the Genelec 8020 which is smaller a bit. Happy to be proven wrong... Now even the 8010, now we are talking tiny... will not have the extension in the bass maybe... In all cases, there are a few proven performers in the tiny desktop category, I don't feel what I see here show the end all absolute of how much performance in a shoebox size speaker.
This speaker has about 10-15hz more bass extension and plays louder with less distortion than the 8020, which is a bit smaller. The 8020 are also WAY more expensive.

Anyway, the Vanatoo isn't trying to compete with studio monitors. If you want studio monitors and space is not THAT tight, then the Genelec 8030C or Kali LP-6v2 depending on budget are some obvious better choices. There are many others.

Vanatoo is a slightly upscale version of computer or bluetooth speakers, with direct USB/BT inputs and a sub out. It's simple. I can recommend this to just about anyone technical enough to use a computer. As soon as you recommend studio monitors, then they have to deal with DACs, more cables, etc... and still(embarrassingly for the DAC market IMO) they don't usually get a sub out. Unless you tell them to learn how to use a miniDSP which is just... absurd.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
they don't usually get a sub out.

True, but active subs have built-in L+R summing circuitry and adjustable low-pass capability, so a couple of Y adapters are a perfectly adequate "sub out" with system volume controlled by the PeeCee or elsewhere along the input path.

gmoney

I have no clue why this is being compared to much larger studio monitors that have no where near the versatility.

This has a DAC, bluetooth, assortment of input options and very reliable remote and you want someone to buy studio monitors for a desk PC/PS5 setup?

I think people here get tunnel vision when it comes to audio. Absolute "sound quality" is only part of the picture.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
I have no clue why this is being compared to much larger studio monitors that have no where near the versatility.

What ought it be compared to? It straddles several categories, so comparisons with similarly priced monitors and/or so-called "computer speakers" are pretty much par for the course, no? Everyone has different priorities and the broader spectrum of "active speakers" has something for everyone -- and Amir has reviewed products that are more similar to this one, so for folks narrowly focused on a high level of versatility rather than the best audio performance for their money, those reviews are there for the reading.

pierre

Forum Donor
Here is an EQ that optimise the listening window (LW).

---------- ASR -- w/EQ
Score 4.7 5.5
w/sub 7.0 7.6

with a Q limited at 2.0.

Code:
EQ for Vanatoo Transparent One Encore computed from ASR data
Preference Score 4.7 with EQ 5.5
Generated from http://github.com/pierreaubert/spinorama/generate_peqs.py v0.14
Dated: 2022-04-01-12:05:55

Preamp: -2.5 dB

Filter  1: ON PK Fc   562 Hz Gain -3.08 dB Q 0.14
Filter  2: ON PK Fc 12592 Hz Gain +2.75 dB Q 2.00
Filter  3: ON PK Fc  7405 Hz Gain -1.99 dB Q 1.43
Filter  4: ON PK Fc 11615 Hz Gain +1.01 dB Q 1.99
Filter  5: ON PK Fc 14084 Hz Gain -1.70 dB Q 1.90
Filter  6: ON PK Fc 15153 Hz Gain +0.96 dB Q 1.99
Filter  7: ON PK Fc  2179 Hz Gain +1.36 dB Q 1.98
Filter  8: ON PK Fc  5331 Hz Gain -0.55 dB Q 1.82
Filter  9: ON PK Fc  2067 Hz Gain -1.00 dB Q 2.00

filters_eq.png

Note that since the directivity is not great, if you optimise the PIR then you compromise the ON and LW. You can shoot in between but that doesn't change much.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
This gives me an idea. When I'm back in my lab, I'll set up the T1Es as I did for my review (on stands in the room) and see how they do with Dirac, with and without subs.

odyo

Can we have a headphone review too pls.

noel_fs

I voted for "not terrible" as directivity is quite poor especially for the price and I don't see the big advantage for relatively flat on-axis for a desktop monitor where it is easy and free to use EQ like Equalizer APO to correct it, I'd rather preferred smooth directivity instead which cannot be corrected by EQ. Also at times of a pair JBL LSR or Kali 5-6" costing around $300 this makes no sense to me.
i think there is a market for it, bassheads and people who want "smart features".

Considering how decent these measure i think they are actually pretty good for those people.

Im voting fine, seen way worse pricing for infinitely worse products

Digby

Major Contributor
As a standalone speaker it performs better than the Genelec 8020 or 8010, as they are satellites and need a subwoofer, without a subwoofer you miss too much of the bass range.

This speaker has reasonable response to about 45hz, which is probably the point at which a speaker should be considered a standalone speaker, rather than just a satellite.

If push comes to shove, I think I'd rather lose response at the top few khz, than in the bass (FM radio is enjoyable, even though limited to 15khz).

I know many (most?) here use subwoofers, but maybe Amir should think about making a point of when a speaker won't reproduce to 40hz, as there will be people that won't understand said speaker will be lacking in the bass department. I think it would be helpful in reviews if a distinction was made between standalone speaker (reaches 40hz or so) or satellites (need a sub).

Last edited:

sgent

True, but active subs have built-in L+R summing circuitry and adjustable low-pass capability, so a couple of Y adapters are a perfectly adequate "sub out" with system volume controlled by the PeeCee or elsewhere along the input path.

I don't know about Genlac subs, but most subs (even active subs) don't have a high pass filter, just low pass which limits the output on the speakers as they try to play the full range bass.

Top Bottom