• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Value for money iOS DAC?

Seanudal

Hi, I have watched lots of reviews of portable DACs like the Dragonfly, Earman and many others. Then started researching the chips used by Cirrus Logic, ESS and Realtek. The price of a tiny portable DAC varies from $6 AU for ALC4050 on Alibaba/AliExpress to $600 AU for items like the Dragonfly Cobalt. I have looked at cheap ChiFi versions like the Lusya Fever and ddHiFi.

Some of these do not support iOS which is a pity as the Lusya Fever is only $30 AU and apparently sounds great. Does anyone know of a decent mobile DAC that does not cost the earth. It must be possible to make a very good iOS DAC for under $100 AU.

Thank you

Bullwinkle J Moose

Fiio BTR3k supports anything as far as I know but picky about what it can handle

It even supports Windows XP without a driver, sounds good enough with the right headphones, and has excellent range if you choose to use it as a Bluetooth receiver instead of a wired DAC (can be used for either)

For example, it works great with Phillips Fidelio X2HR but not loud enough for a Sundara Planar

Great bluetooth 5.0 range if your transmitter is top notch and it costs about $70

Accepts Aptx Low Latency for gaming and movies but could not find any in depth review at this site

I'd definitely buy again

Just wish it had more power for planars

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My Tempotec Sonata HD Pro (also knows as the Hidisz S8) works without drivers on my Macbook. I just plug in the USB-C and all is well. :) It's relatively cheap, and Amir measured and liked it.

Bullwinkle J Moose

My Tempotec Sonata HD Pro (also knows as the Hidisz S8) works without drivers on my Macbook. I just plug in the USB-C and all is well. :) It's relatively cheap, and Amir measured and liked it.

Yeah, I got the Hidizs S9 for the Sundara

More than enough power but over the $100 mark

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apple devices already have a good DAC built in

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I have watched lots of reviews of portable DACs like the Dragonfly, Earman and many others. Then started researching the chips used by Cirrus Logic, ESS and Realtek. The price of a tiny portable DAC varies from $6 AU for ALC4050 on Alibaba/AliExpress to $600 AU for items like the Dragonfly Cobalt. I have looked at cheap ChiFi versions like the Lusya Fever and ddHiFi.

Some of these do not support iOS which is a pity as the Lusya Fever is only $30 AU and apparently sounds great. Does anyone know of a decent mobile DAC that does not cost the earth. It must be possible to make a very good iOS DAC for under $100 AU.

Thank you
The ios version of tempotec sonata hd Pro (just means ships with lightning not usb c cable)

Same as hidizs S8 with a different shell. Can be had for about $40 us from tempotec Aliexpress store.

Top Bottom