• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using XLR Y splitter with Gustard x16, OK?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Hi All,

My Gustard X16 XLR output impedance is 300 Ohm.

My amp XLR input impedance is 66K ohm.

My subs XLR input impedance is 20K ohm.

OK to use XLR Y splitter to connect one X16 XLR output to one stereo amp xlr input and one sub xlr input, correct?

I am thinking about doing this because I want to avoid using RCA output of X16 due to potential loud pop noise during X16 power on and off.

Thanks!

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I observed one strange thing when using xlr splitter to split X16's XLR out to both amp and subs.

With XLR splitter, when turn on X16, my subs would sense signals and wake up from suspense.

When using xlr direct to subs only (RCA to amp), my subs would not wakeup when turn on X16.

I wonder why using xlr splitter would cause additional signals output to my subs when turn on x16. Anyone knows why?

Thanks!

RHO

Major Contributor
Balanced connection puts out twice the voltage. So maybe the spike at startup is now big enough the trigger the sub-amp where it was too small to trigger the amp when you connected it single ended.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Balanced connection puts out twice the voltage. So maybe the spike at startup is now big enough the trigger the sub-amp where it was too small to trigger the amp when you connected it single ended.
The subs have been connected via XLR before using splitter.

Before splitter:
RCA to amp
XLR to subs

Subs never wake up when turn on X16 when connected that way.

Over the weekend, I switched to this connection:
Xlr from X16 to xlr splitter, xlr splitter to amp and subs.
With amp still off, but with xlr connected only, turn on X16 would now wake up the subs.

Chuckser

XLRs to Amp.
Y slipper to sum outputs to SUB.

RHO is correct. Too much voltage to Sub.

NvGuy recons input impedance should be ten times output impedance, though he was referring to headphones and amplifiers, so don't quote me, but that sounds like a good rule of thumb. The only thing I know about impedances is you need a 75ohm resistor on a bus network or the signal bounces off the end of the cable, probably frequency dependant in audio cables. You may experience some form of parametric filtering. You are right to be concerned regarding impedances. I've noticed an improvement in the sound quality of my phone when using a Dayton Audio IMM-6, which is probably a result of impedance matching. It's probably best to stick to one brand to ensure compatibility. I hope our Gurus' take that into account when testing!

Last edited:

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi All,

OK to use XLR Y splitter to connect one X16 XLR output to one stereo amp xlr input and one sub xlr input, correct?

I am thinking about doing this because I want to avoid using RCA output of X16 due to potential loud pop noise during X16 power on and off.

Thanks!

I was thinking of doing something similar. In my case, I have a sub that has trouble waking up - the KEF 62. My amps inputs are 47 kOhms Unbalanced, 33 kOhms Balanced impedance

Currently I have an AVR receiver between the amp and the Gustard and I was going to test eliminating the receiver (preamp).

My sub doesn't have XLR but it does take high level speaker wires. So after reading your results, I bet my sub won't wake up with RCA and I should go with the high level.

So how did your setup sound when you were done? How do you change volume -- do you us Roon or the Gustard??

Last edited:
OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I was thinking of doing something similar. In my case, I have a sub that has trouble waking up - the KEF 62. My amps inputs are 47 kOhms Unbalanced, 33 kOhms Balanced impedance

Currently I have an AVR receiver between the amp and the Gustard and I was going to test eliminating the receiver (preamp).

My sub doesn't have XLR but it does take high level speaker wires. So after reading your results, I bet my sub won't wake up with RCA and I should go with the high level.

So how did your setup sound when you were done? How do you change volume -- do you us Roon or the Gustard??
I gave up on using xlr splitter as I did not like the sound. I never found out why.

I am thinking that if your sub has RCA in, you should give it a try. But be warned that turning on and off x16 would create loud pop.

What I am doing now:
Gustard x16 xlr to Gustard h16.

Gustard h16 xlr to amp
Gustard h16 rca to sabaj a10h. A10h RCA to subs. I am adding sabaj because h16 also has loud pops when turning on and off. My sub don't have power switch. I use sabaj as power switch so I can do power up/down sequence that eliminates pops. Power on h16 first, then sabaj. Power off sabaj first, then h16. I am doing same power on and off sequence with my power amp to eliminate pops.

I am using h16 as volume control. I could just use x16 to do all these without h16, but I was told x16 volume control is lossy and h16 volume control is lossless. I wanted the lossless volume control, thus selected to add h16 to my chain.

Good luck!

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I gave up on using xlr splitter as I did not like the sound.

What was it like....Distortion?? Or lack of highs? How much power in your amps???

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
What was it like....Distortion?? Or lack of highs? How much power in your amps???
I assume you are asking about using the xlr splitter? It was a bit harsh sounding. Highs sounded not natural. My amp is Parasound A21. 250 watts for 8 ohms.

Speakers are Parasound Persona B.

Anyway, my issues might not happen to you. It may still work out fine for you. So still worth a try and you can decide for yourself using your setup.

Chuckser

Hi All,

Thanks!
You are supposed to turn amps on first and sources off last. Why do you want one channel through a speaker and one through your sub.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
You are supposed to turn amps on first and sources off last. Why do you want one channel through a speaker and one through your sub.
My subs have no power on/off option.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
What! You've soldered it to the grid!!??
Subs are Paradigm Seismic 110.

It doesn't matter now as I have other options to not sending loud pops to my subs when turn off x16 or H16.

No need further "help" me. I already consider this thread done and have no more interest in discuss further.

Last edited:
Top Bottom