• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using the Internet to link to a radio station

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Picking the brains of the collective ..
A friend of mine needs to link to a radio station via the Internet to conduct his radio program from home. The radio is a regular FM radio station. What is the least expensive way to do it?
I was thinking Skype at both ends and be done... He could even be able to receive calls on Skype and conduct interviews, through conference calls on Skype. Is the reality more complex? What am I missing? I am helping a friend and know close to nothing about radio stations and braodcasting.
I thank you all in advance and don't mind PM ...
Peace and stay safe!

Krusty09

Forum Donor
Just use tunein and get any station you want. It's free I use it all day .

I hope I read this right.

raindance

Major Contributor
Sounds like he's a presenter. Skype could work if there's someone on the other end, but it's not the best solution. It is better than a telephone though.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Cleanfeed for our Outside Broadcasts and remote studios. Many of our presenters are now working from home, and it works fine. The free version is limited to MP3 but that's quite good enough for speech. We use Teamviewer to access the studio PCs remotely for music, jingles etc so the audio is played-in locally in the studio, whilst the speech comes in remotely.

The nice thing about both applications is that it doesn't need anyone in the studio provided the mixer faders are left up and the PCs allow remote access. There are no nasty noises on-air when the remote presenter comes on.

Skype will work, and it's fine for speech, but I think it may require somebody in the studio to accept the incoming call, but that can also be done remotely through Teamviewer.

S.

OP
F

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the replies. For some odd reasons I could not see your replies and went ahead with Skype. Works well. Voice quality with a good microphone is surprisingly good. We haven;t tried Live call in and interviews (through) Skype but will soon..
I am reading right now on Cleanfeed and am shocked that so much of it can be offered for free.

Thank you all!

Top Bottom