• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using several volum controls in the chain

Helical

I have a bit of an unconventional setup these days. I have KEF LS50 wireless speakers. These are hooked up to the outputs of an analogue preamp. To this preamp I have connected my turntable and my Pro-ject prebox digital s2 (DAC). So at most I have three volume controls in the mix… Crazy I know, but would it matter which levels these three are set at?

At the moment the speakers are set at 75/100, dac at -15dB and then I control the actual soundlevel from my analogue preamp. Is this decent enough or could I improve things by adjusting volume somewhere in the chain?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my opinion I'd set the speakers to 100 and the DAC to 0 and use your preamp to be the remote.

OP
H

Helical

This results in the analogue volum control becoming super sensitive, so I need to tame the signal somewhat.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This results in the analogue volum control becoming super sensitive, so I need to tame the signal somewhat.
Do the
Yeah it's a pickle. I got rid of my preamp and turntable so now my source iPad has a volume (set to full) into DAC which I use for volume. Turning your speakers to 75 my be the best solution.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Hi welcome to asr. Try not to worry about it. The main thing is having a good range of fine control of volume.

Top Bottom