• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using REW and a miniDSP UMIK-1

Razorhelm

Hi All,

I have just received my UMIK-1 and would like to use it with REW to improve the sound quality from my system. My amp and speakers are connected to the pc with REW via an external dac.

I was hoping you could provide me with an idea of what tests I should run, point me towards any good guides to using the software and mic and give me an idea of what are the most important changes to make, speaker moves, eqs etc.

I also have a subwoofer in my system so any guides/guidance on how to set it up and set its crossover would be really valuable.

Thanks!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This video was all I needed to get confident and finally start. I can't recommended it enough. It is that good.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Two people recommending the same video, that's a good sign! Thanks!

That video is indeed well done. The only thing I would question is setting the Overall Max Boost to 0 (explanation starting at 12:04). In most cases your amp and speakers can generate higher max SPL than you need so trading 3-6dB of it for ability to fill the dips seems like a good idea to me. Not to mention that if you have preamp after the DAC it will usually be able to restore the output level to what it was before filter reduction.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That video is indeed well done. The only thing I would question is setting the Overall Max Boost to 0 (explanation starting at 12:04). In most cases your amp and speakers can generate higher max SPL than you need so trading 3-6dB of it for ability to fill the dips seems like a good idea to me. Not to mention that if you have preamp after the DAC it will usually be able to restore the output level to what it was before filter reduction.

Agreed. And also I chose not to use a "proper house curve file" but instead configure it on the right side menu.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...is-your-favorite-house-curve.2382/post-341190

Anyway, these are minor tweaks to the process. The video is 95% what I use.

OP
Razorhelm

Razorhelm

Oh my god! Absolute revelation! My sound system has never sounded so good! In fact no sound system I have ever owned has sounded this good!

I have had this problem with what i think of as "muddy/boomy bass" and it's finally gone! it was clear as day in the before curves a massive hump towards the low end and some weird oscillations after that up to about 2K.

Eq sorted it right out, used the house curve suggested in the video and I love it! Can't wait to do more experimenting, want to try as flat as I can next.

Thanks for the video suggestions and advice, that Julian Krause video was excellent and the tips on how to modify his method helped a lot, I have used a tonne of gain as I have more headroom than I need.

Measurements for the win!

xenom

Hey thanks for this video gonna try it soon.
Wich hardware would you recommande to run those filters ? I'm on 2.2 configuration and i have few inputs to manage.

OP
Razorhelm

Razorhelm

I am simply using windows and Equaliser APO as described in the video, I have considered the MiniDSP 2x4 https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4 (REW can output files for this) but in the end I was happy just running the filters on my PC.
I am running any analog inputs into my pcs line in and then setting the pc to listen to it to play them through the filter too so separate a hardware DSP isn't need in my case.

xenom

Ok thanks for your awser that's an interesting process too.
But my TV and hi-fi setup are kinda far from my pc so i won't be able to connect everything on plus i don't want noise from pc :/
Is 2x4 enough for these filterr ? I've seen it was not recommanded for every filters.

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a quick and dumb question about UMIK-1.

What do I need to do in Windows 10 to make sure that SPL readings when using REW's SPL Meter are accurate?

Do I need to set the level to a specific level to make sure the SPL readings are accurate?

With the level set to 0dB, it reads 83-84dB(Z). When set to -18.4dB, it reads 67-68dB(Z). This is in a quiet room - seems rather loud reading to me.

1589322059343.png1589322079922.png1589322112784.png1589322139739.png1589322160980.png

m_g_s_g

Forum Donor
I'm probably not the best one to chime in (just bought my UMIK-1 a couple of weeks ago), but I just checked in my computer. When I update my Mic volume level in Windows 10, I see that REW's SPL Meter ends up showing the same value (after some seconds to adapt). I'm seeing now about 44dB(Z) in a quiet room (computer fans on).

So I understand that it doesn't really matter.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
The use of REW for room EQ is the single most important thing I learned from this site.

QMuse

Major Contributor
I'm probably not the best one to chime in (just bought my UMIK-1 a couple of weeks ago), but I just checked in my computer. When I update my Mic volume level in Windows 10, I see that REW's SPL Meter ends up showing the same value (after some seconds to adapt). I'm seeing now about 44dB(Z) in a quiet room (computer fans on).

So I understand that it doesn't really matter.

It doesn't.

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just got my umik-1 yesterday, running REW on my legacy 2012 Macbook Pro. Left the mids above 630 hz and uppers alone, but the bass is sooooo much better now. I had a nasty null centered around maybe 125 hz and I have room gain like a volcano spewing lava between 20 and 40 hertz. I have nooooooo problem getting 20 hz in my room. I just need to squash it down before it blasts a hole in the ceiling.

I’ve probably spent 12 hours the last two days obsessing and getting things up just so. Thanks to everyone for your enabling my OCD. It could always sound just a little bit better, eh? :facepalm::facepalm: I can always just change one more thing and take one more measurement. o_Oo_Oo_O Moved my subwoofers finally anyway.

The bass lines in acoustic jazz are so much more tuneful (the individual notes much more clear) now and the low-string and low-brass and low woodwind underpinngs to symphonies and brass and wind ensembles are awesomeness, but without blowing the bass out of proportion. I’m sure I’ll learn more as the days and weeks go by. . .

Last edited:

QMuse

Major Contributor
Just got my umik-1 yesterday, running REW on my legacy 2012 Macbook Pro. Left the mids above 630 hz and uppers alone, but the bass is sooooo much better now. I had a nasty null centered around maybe 125 hz and I have room gain like a volcano spewing lava between 20 and 40 hertz. I have nooooooo problem getting 20 hz in my room. I just need to squash it down before it blasts a hole in the ceiling.

I’ve probably spent 12 hours the last two days obsessing and getting things up just so. Thanks to everyone for your enabling my OCD. It could alway sound just a little bit better, eh? :facepalm::facepalm: I can always just change one more thing and take one more measurement. o_Oo_Oo_O Moved my subwoofers finally anyway.

The bass lines in acoustic jazz are so much more tuneful (the individual notes much more clear) now and the low-string and low-brass and low woodwind underpinngs to symphonies and brass and wind ensembles are awesomeness, but without blowing the bass out of proportion. I’m sure I’ll learn more as the days and weeks go by. . .

It's actually the thing that response curves can always look "better", but it's not that a slight change will be audible. Besides, you will soon realise you will not get exactly the same curve when measuring the day after, so no need to be obsessed - just get them to be "about right" and that's it. :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What do I need to do in Windows 10 to make sure that SPL readings when using REW's SPL Meter are accurate?

You should download the calibration file for your individual microphone from miniDSP:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1

scroll down

1589872901946.png

In REW:

In preferences, point it toward your downloaded file (I renamed mine)

You may have a different list of devices.

1589873135360.png

The file adjusts the raw readings from the UMIK-1 for better accuracy across the frequency spectrum.

Do I need to set the level to a specific level to make sure the SPL readings are accurate?

The SPL level in REW, as you noticed, self-adjusts when you change the input level.

What this actually accomplishes is to adjust the headroom.

A high "input level" gives less headroom, reducing the maximum SPL you can measure.

I leave mine at about 1/2 - or 0dBin windows, and it gives you a limit of (I forget) about 120dB SPL.

If you watch the Preferences window while the RTA window is active you can see how close to 0dBFS you are for any given SPL in the room.

Highest Input level, just listening to right wing wacko news, not very loud:

Only 30dB headroom so max in-room SPL that can be measured about 90dB.

1589874015019.png

Input level turned way down, about the same SPL level registering in the RTA but more headroom available on the meter:

60dB headroom, so maybe a max of 120dB.

1589874130959.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom