• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using RCA splitter to connect pc and preamp to my reciever

Sumerfield

Hi there,

I will soon be getting a turntable and was wondering if it possible to connect my external preamp for the turn table as well as my pc to my receiver using splitter cables so I can use both sources at the same time.

Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @Sumerfield ! Welcome aboard.

In most cases, you can safely split one Line output into two Line inputs.
However, if I understand your question correctly, then you want to combine two Line outputs (phono pre + PC) into one Line input on your receiver.
That's not really safe to do with simple splitter cables, because say you're playing a record, the phono pre will be sending audio both into the receiver's Line in (fine), as well as into your PC's Line out (possibly not fine), and vice versa.

Does your receiver have only one Line input?
If so, then you can get audio switchers that'll allow you to switch between sources with a knob, instead of having to mess around with the cables.
The brand Nobsound/Douk audio makes some good quality, inexpensive switches. Just avoid the models with integrated volume control.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hi there,

I will soon be getting a turntable and was wondering if it possible to connect my external preamp for the turn table as well as my pc to my receiver using splitter cables so I can use both sources at the same time.

Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum!

To clarify, are you trying to actually mix the sound from each source together, or just to be able to use one or the other?

Assuming the second option, does your receiver have more available inputs? Ideally you would have a separate connection for each, or some kind of simple switch box to select one source or the other as I see was mentioned by @staticV3 .

OP
S

Sumerfield

Welcome to the forum!

To clarify, are you trying to actually mix the sound from each source together, or just to be able to use one or the other?

Assuming the second option, does your receiver have more available inputs? Ideally you would have a separate connection for each, or some kind of simple switch box to select one source or the other as I see was mentioned by @staticV3 .
I was looking to mix the sound as use my speaker setup for my desktop however if that isn't possible I will look in to getting a switch box and using them separately as my receiver only has one analogue input. Thanks for the help @staticV3 and @BDWoody

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I was looking to mix the sound as use my speaker setup for my desktop however if that isn't possible I will look in to getting a switch box and using them separately as my receiver only has one analogue input. Thanks for the help

Does your computer have an optical out you could use to connect to the receiver?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
To combine multiple outputs you need a mixer; it is not a good idea to simply short the outputs as bad things could happen (from bad sound to a broken device, though the latter is unlikely). A line-level stereo mixer would work, or you could build a simple summing circuit from some cables and resistors. For commercial units, there are many, here are a couple found with a quick search. No idea how good (or bad) they are.

You can find similar products at other musical instrument supply companies.

HTH - Don

OP
S

Sumerfield

@staticV3 I will looking to those and see if that fits my needs, thanks for helping.

@DonH56 Thanks for letting me know about those mixers, they will probably be my best bet for what I am looking for.

Top Bottom