• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using Mjolinir SRD7Pro and Toppin LA90 as a STAX earspeaker amplifier

joe quintal

Hello,
I am a long time reader, first time poster. I was trying to upgrade from the STAX SRM313 and STAX 006T amplifier. I use the Topping DX7Pro with Sparkos opamps. After looking at the cost of newer custom tube and solid state amplifiers, I tried the older approach of a step up transformer with bias supply, and a power amplifier. The setup has worked fine for several days, (not yet a long term review).
I don't have a calibrated head/microphone, so the results are subjective. I use the Stax L500 MkII Earspeakers.
a) the 006T have a very smooth midrange, treble is not bright, bass is less than SRM313. The 006T works better than the 313 for classical music for me.
b) the 313, has more bass, and a not bright midrange and treble compared to the 006T. (this is normally the combination I use at my desk)
c) the Mjolinir-SRD7Pro, and Topping LA90 (low gain, 12oclock volume control, -10db on the DAC) has a smoother presentation than the 313.
If the music has bass present, there is sufficient bass. The treble does not sound the same between the 006T, and Topping LA90. I like both.
note: I am not a high volume listener, I did find that the LA90 volume control when increased to 3oclock was very loud, there was no change in sound character.

Music I used to evaluate the combinations (music is upsampled to 11.28Mhz on JRiver - no equalization is added)
1) Ray Brown Trio - Live at the Loa - Bluesology (clarity of all 3 instruments and the bass solo), and Can't Stop Loving Dat Man (great piano solo)
2) Aaron Copland - 3rd symphony - London Symphony - IV movement - (Fanfare for the Common man variations, interplay of orchestral instruments)
3) Al Dimeola - A Tribute to the Beatles - Blackbird - acoustic guitar
4) Big Phat Band - The Gordian Knot - Summertime - piano, female vocal, big band
5) Brian Bromberg - Celebrate Me Home the Holiday Sessions - Celebrate Me Home - male vocal, acoustic bass solo
6) Eddie Daniels, Harlem String Quartet, studio rhythm section - Night Kisses - A Noite - the clarinet
7) Fourplay - Silver - Anniversario - Nathan East (electric bass) and Bob James (piano, electric piano)
8) Heart - Strange Euphoria - Dog & Butterfly - female vocal and acoustic guitar
9) Manhattan Transfer - The Chick Corea Songbook - Free Samba-Spain - vocal ensemble
10) James Taylor - Before this World - You and I Again - male vocal, Yoyo Ma cello

Thank you for a great forum,
Joe Quintal

Top Bottom