• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using inexpensive DVD player as transport for an external DAC

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMHO, the main sound-quality issue is mechanical and electrical noise: Does the unit emit a faint hum or buzz from a noisy internal power transformer or its front-panel display circuitry, or is it dead-quiet (or at least quiet enough that you can't hear any noise from your normal listening position)? Most units will be sufficiently quiet...
Similarly, how noisy or quiet is the disc mechanism when it's playing a disc? /QUOTE]

I just recently purchased the new X800M2. /QUOTE]
I am looking for a new disc player and this is a big concern for me. Can anyone recommend a silent player? I have seen the X800 recommended as a quiet player, and also Sal seems happy with this. Maybe the one to get?

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am looking for a new disc player and this is a big concern for me. Can anyone recommend a silent player? I have seen the X800 recommended as a quiet player, and also Sal seems happy with this. Maybe the one to get?

I have one and it is quiet.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Me too (X800M2).
I received mine today. Very quiet so I am happy about that. But... no controls on the front? OK, I can put the remote on a leash so it does not get lost. No display? That is not so nice for an audio player - I won't have the TV on usually. Am I missing something? Maybe I should read the manual. Even it does have these flaws I will still be happy enough I think.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I received mine today. Very quiet so I am happy about that. But... no controls on the front? OK, I can put the remote on a leash so it does not get lost. No display? That is not so nice for an audio player - I won't have the TV on usually. Am I missing something? Maybe I should read the manual. Even it does have these flaws I will still be happy enough I think.

Most players have minimal non-remote controls. Remember, this is a Blu-Ray player, not an audio CD player - so it's designed with the assumption of minimal user interaction at the machine itself; with the assumption that it will not only be controlled by remote but also quite possibly by a universal remote that controls a whole home theater system; and with the assumption that as part of a home theater system, the user preference will be for minimal or zero display so as not to distract from the movie image on the TV.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most players have minimal non-remote controls. Remember, this is a Blu-Ray player, not an audio CD player - so it's designed with the assumption of minimal user interaction at the machine itself; with the assumption that it will not only be controlled by remote but also quite possibly by a universal remote that controls a whole home theater system; and with the assumption that as part of a home theater system, the user preference will be for minimal or zero display so as not to distract from the movie image on the TV.
Got it and I understand. I am replacing an old dying DVD player that has buttons and display so I don't see the difference but anyway I will miss these features. Moving on, I am looking for an android app that might function over wifi. Does such a thing exist? I tried a Sony app called "network audio remote" that recognizes the player but doesn't seem to be able to do anything.

Edit: An app called MyAV is able to start playing when I hit the "Music Player" button but nothing else seems to work. Too bad if nothing like this exists. It would be nice to have a phone controller and also have display of track number, time, etc. on the phone.

Last edited:

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got it and I understand. I am replacing an old dying DVD player that has buttons and display so I don't see the difference but anyway I will miss these features. Moving on, I am looking for an android app that might function over wifi. Does such a thing exist? I tried a Sony app called "network audio remote" that recognizes the player but doesn't seem to be able to do anything.

Edit: An app called MyAV is able to start playing when I hit the "Music Player" button but nothing else seems to work. Too bad if nothing like this exists. It would be nice to have a phone controller and also have display of track number, time, etc. on the phone.

Agreed RE smartphone control. My Oppo disc player has a very nice remote control app (although the unit also comes with a nice, backlit and full-featured dedicated remote and the unit itself has a dimmable, reasonably complete front-panel display). But generally speaking it's hard to rely on phone apps to control source devices as we're at the mercy of the manufacturer's programming and subsequent support of the app.

And to be clear, I totally agree with you - I get the lack of on-unit functions and display, but I share your frustration about it. Between the AV market shaping the design and interfaces of the players and the vinyl revival leading to some goofy design choices on the discs themselves (2LP sets originally issued on one CD being reissued on 2 CDs; cardboard-sleeve CDs that scratch the disc; etc) it's a bit of an annoying time to be interested in dedicated audio disc playback. :)

Brad1138

FWIW, I use a 6 disc Onkyo DVD changer with coax digital out into an RME ADI2 DAC FS into Preamp/Amp/Spks that are over $10,000 total, and I am quite pleased. I keep my current 6 fav CDs in there. I also have a laptop with all my discs burned to FLAC files and run Foobar 2000. But if I get a new CD and/or don't have my phone handy, I can use the Onkyo.

Last edited:

Limopard

I wonder why even hefty DVD players like the Denon DVD 3930 can be bought used for EUR 200 while their audio only counterparts (DCD 1500, 1510, 2000) go for at least twice as much. Just switch off the video (just for lower power drain) and get the same performance + added benefit of DVD-Audio. Build quality is top notch too.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I wonder why even hefty DVD players like the Denon DVD 3930 can be bought used for EUR 200
Mainly because they're DVD and not BluRay players, so considered obsolete.
As you mentioned, they're still awesome players.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I'm using a Sony UHP-H1 player in my main downstairs system and I like it for regular CDs, SACDs, DAD-Audio.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm using a Sony UHP-H1 player in my main downstairs system and I like it for regular CDs, SACDs, DAD-Audio.
I bought a used Sony BDP-S5100 off ebay for $40, free shipping in like new condition.
Bought it to play and rip SACD's, works perfectly.
Does everything my newer model Samsung does except play UHD and Atmos movies, music, etc.
The way the markets heading, you'll be able to buy just about any optical media player for peanuts soon.

Limopard

I'm currently using a Pioneer BDP 450 for everything visual and for the few DVD-A/SACD/BD-Audio I have. It has a SPDIF output that works with SACD (converted to 24/88 PCM). Handling without screen is not the best, basic functions are available though. My Pioneer DV-LX 50 has a more comfortable handling, but no BD capability. And for using both the shelf space is the limiting factor.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I bought a used Sony BDP-S5100 off ebay for $40, free shipping in like new condition.
Bought it to play and rip SACD's, works perfectly.
Does everything my newer model Samsung does except play UHD and Atmos movies, music, etc.
The way the markets heading, you'll be able to buy just about any optical media play
Good to know, thanks!

dufferdan

In another post (iPad to DAC test) tonight I hooked up my new Topping D70S MQA DAC into my system. One of the players is a c. 2004/05 Rotel 5 disk CD player. I have it hooked into my Canbridge 640 integrated amp viadecent RCA connectors. I also today hooked it into the Topping via coax digital audio out. It was easy to A/B with my AKG 704 headphones plugged in to the Cambridge. The headphones reasonably blocked player noise, but when running, the unit is pretty quiet. Certainly, when listening thru speakers and quiet passages, it isn’t audible.

Anyways, I a/b’d the receiver inputs from DAC to CD player. I was astonished, I didn’t even sense the transition, the Cambridge switching was so quiet. Levels were perfect, playback zero perceived difference. Don’t know if this helps or hurts, but even with DAC tech 17 yrs old, audible differences with a brand new tech DAC was essentially zero.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
nyways, I a/b’d the receiver inputs from DAC to CD player. I was astonished, I didn’t even sense the transition, the Cambridge switching was so quiet. Levels were perfect, playback zero perceived difference. Don’t know if this helps or hurts, but even with DAC tech 17 yrs old, audible differences with a brand new tech DAC was essentially zero.
An honest man!
The stories of the horrid sound of early CD players even from the 80s are greatly exaggerated.
My first CD player was a Magnavox cdb560 from the late 80s and with good quality CD's it sounded incredible, till the day I lost it in the divorce. LOL

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about blue ray hdmi to tv, tv toslink to dac?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom