• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using inexpensive DVD player as transport for an external DAC

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I like to think that "almost" is a sarcastic jab at those who foolishly supported the HD-DVD standard early on. :p Although it was probably drafted by marketing people that have no idea one way or another actually.

Playback Capabilities
Disc
Ultra HD Blu-ray, BD-ROM, Stereoscopic 3D (profile 5), SA-CD (SA-CD/CD) Playback, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R Dual Layer, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R Double Layer, CD (CD-DA), CD-R/-RW
Audio Format
AAC (.AAC, .mka), HEAAC v.1/v.2/level2, WMA9 Standard (.WMA), LPCM (.mka, .wav), DSD - DSDIFF/DSD (.dff, .dsf), FLAC (.flac, .fla), AIFF (.aiff, .aif), ALAC (.m4a), Dolby Digital (.ac3, .mka), WMA10 Pro, Vorbis, MP3 (.mp3, .mka), AAC (.m4a), Monkey’s Audio

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Considering it's Sony... I would have to assume it's one of their own drives... but that would be an assumption on my part so ~50% likelihood of being incorrect. At least on features, it seems to be a fairly decent Oppo-203 replacement... I might consider selling one of mine (since I could buy 6 of these Sony units for what the going rate on ebay is for the 203 at the moment). :facepalm:

Found this rather amusing:

I like to think that "almost" is a sarcastic jab at those who foolishly supported the HD-DVD standard early on. :p Although it was probably drafted by marketing people that have no idea one way or another actually.

Probably drafted at the behest of the legal dept! :p

gfx_1

No I didn't. I try to get around to doing that sometime soon.
Some Samsung DVD's have settings like 3d-sound and dynamic compression which alter the output. I did have a Samsung DVD
player for a while but it died.

Kavirajan

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried using an inexpensive DVD player with digital outputs connected to a good quality DAC. And if so, how would the sound quality compare to that of a relatively expensive cd player?
I have tried this after reading your post. I have my dvd player denon - 1740 which is inexpensive bought 14 yrs back connected to modi 3 (schitt) DAC. The amp is denon AVR 2807 speakers Polk audio A5 series. I've been listening to my CD collection using this setup for so long time i can see the difference in sound after ading the DAC. I came up with the question in google and found yours. Now i have rotel CD player but I'm in no mood to compare. For me i got a very good sound quality upgrade by this simple method. Also i connected ps3 to DAC first there also the same quality increase.

Attachments

• 1609519456625811438448.jpg
    1609519456625811438448.jpg
    698.4 KB · Views: 145

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been listening to my CD collection using this setup for so long time i can see the difference in sound after ading the DAC.

See, yes. How about hearing?

Kavirajan

Why not go for a Bluray player straight away, given that you are unlikely to find a DVD player anymore these days. Only thing to look for is one with a proper optical or coax digital stereo output. The cheaper ones no longer have these.
A PS3 /4 would be a wise investment if its not there already. Blueray player and a console ;-)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sound is mellow, soft & rich. More analogue i would say compared to without DAC.

My point is whether you could you tell that in a double-blind listening test or not.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope i don't have any test setup my confidence based on multiple hearings
I thought I could hear the difference based on multiple hearings but when I compared level matched and with my daughter doing the switching all the differences I was sure I could hear turned out to be imagined.
I was only testing relatively expensive DACs though, from £1000 to £14,000.
I was very surprised, but it was a wakeup moment for me and I haven't worried about DACs since.
I have tested myself by listening to tones and music and based on this it comes as no surprise since all the DACs tested here except a very few have levels of noise and distortion below my audibility.
I continue to hear differences between microphones, speakers, record players and, particularly, speaker position in my room, so I haven't gone deaf :)

Edit addition The differences I have heard on DACs are on those with switchable reconstruction filters. Several of them fail to reconstruct the original signal and leave artefacts in the audible range.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
The DAC in question may be an 'effects' box with 'fiddled-with' EQ.

Kavirajan

I thought I could hear the difference based on multiple hearings but when I compared level matched and with my daughter doing the switching all the differences I was sure I could hear turned out to be imagined.
I was only testing relatively expensive DACs though, from £1000 to £14,000.
I was very surprised, but it was a wakeup moment for me and I haven't worried about DACs since.
I have tested myself by listening to tones and music and based on this it comes as no surprise since all the DACs tested here except a very few have levels of noise and distortion below my audibility.
I continue to hear differences between microphones, speakers, record players and, particularly, speaker position in my room, so I haven't gone deaf :)

Edit addition The differences I have heard on DACs are on those with switchable reconstruction filters. Several of them fail to reconstruct the original signal and leave artefacts in the audible range.
Agree test is the way to confirm. I connected ps3 audio to DAC through optical there the difference is so stark i could spot the difference in a test. DVD player is more subtle but still could pass the test.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Agree test is the way to confirm. I connected ps3 audio to DAC through optical there the difference is so stark i could spot the difference in a test. DVD player is more subtle but still could pass the test.
Sounds like a level difference influencing your perception.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Are you familiar with the terms "confirmation bias" and "level matching"?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe it if you prove to pass the test. I have similar experiences as @Frank Dernie with 2 DACs (same model, one of them modded by me) and even really big differences in sound can be imagined.

Kavirajan

I believe it if you prove to pass the test. I have similar experiences as @Frank Dernie with 2 DACs (same model, one of them modded by me) and even really big differences in sound can be imagined.
Hopefully some day I'll be able to do the test and post the results here. Thanks for your inputs & @Julf

Top Bottom