• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using Full range speakers as Near Field monitors

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bought this weekend a pair of JK Acoustics Optima 3 MKI full range speakers.
Reason was that near field monitors could not get me a satisfied feeling regarding the Low. So i combined both near field monitors with sub woofers.

The experience was not bad but i had constantly the feeling (despite using Rooms correction software an absorption pannels) that i was listing to a two speaker systems i don't know something like not perfect crossover points whatever. So i thought lets buy a speaker system that i was using years ago but than using it as full range speakers so 2,5 meter wide an i sitting in my sofa at more or less the same length.

Now they are placed at the same height as my previous near field monitors. I had to put them 40 cm up they are 1 meter high. What i got is an incredible thigh t sounding system with lows that took a way the feeling that i was listning to a two speaker system. So i got now a Near Field speaker setup with the advantages of Full range speakers.
The JK's have a build in woofer which is symetrical loaded/powerd. So you need a good stable amplifier to get this working. Do people have tried this before? Any experiences. Here a description of the JK's but it is in Dutch. http://www.jkacoustics.nl/portal/in...le&id=117:optima3-mk1&catid=55:mki&Itemid=121

PFqItW5.jpg

2PV2WbW.jpg

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Nice speakers. Only thing I'd mention is that you're likely getting desk bounce which is affecting the clarity of the mids. Do you know the mirror method for the RFZ? You can do the same thing with your table to check.

Simple fixes are working on a smaller surface or tilting your table towards you so that the reflections go under your ears.

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice speakers. Only thing I'd mention is that you're likely getting desk bounce which is affecting the clarity of the mids. Do you know the mirror method for the RFZ? You can do the same thing with your table to check.

Simple fixes are working on a smaller surface or tilting your table towards you so that the reflections go under your ears.
The mirror methode (first reflection) is used for the side reflections you only can't see the pannels on the side. Tabel reflection is more or less carred for by tilting the speakers into the air by using 3 spikes in a tri angel back spike is lower than the 2 front spikes aming at my ears. By the way my room accoustic sofware is correcting most reflections too.

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice. Which software?
Mathaudio room eq. For now the only one i found that let you modify your found frequence respons as you like. I wil posted some graphs in the post from andreasmaan here under shortly.

Last edited:
OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd be interested to know how those speakers measure out of the box. If you have any @Snarfie, please post :)

I use about 3 or 4 different set-ups that i prepaird. The grey line is the found reflecions in my room.

This is the one i use the most (90%) the flat response.
d9xeUmN.png

Sometimes (rarely used) with older jazz recordings an some older pop recordings like supertramp i need some lows. I use this to compensate the bass a bit.
0WvPxIf.png

If it is neccecary to compensate bass an midrange frequencies i use this one.
FeDjph4.png

Basicly the Optima speaker have from them self already a quite flat response (quite uncolord sound originaly).

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So 90% of the time you actually EQ for flat in-room response?

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So 90% of the time you actually EQ for flat in-room response?
Yes because for my personal taste i need no more bass or midrange. The sound is very balanced using this flatline. But if you compare this speakers to my older IMF compact II monitors than i use this graph 90% of the time. See for instance the difference between the two speakers in db range (almost 9 db's or more). The amplifier has to work real hard to overcome the gain range.

fC9aRKP.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom