• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using Fire HD10 as music server?

audioJon

Hi all, first time posting here. I happened upon this site (thank you Amir!) after deciding to part with my Stax SR Lambda Signatures/SRM-T1 that I feed with a Squeezebox Touch. I have a Fire HD10 tablet and would like to load it with my Flac files and stream those along with various internet stations from Tunein to a headphone amp/DAC. It sounds like I will need an equalizer too. Is this doable and if so, what cable, apps etc. will I need?

Or what about using my computer and a Google Chromecast to send music to the headphone amp/DAC, using Chromecast Audio Stream?

Thanks,
Jon

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bubbleupnp is a great app that will allow you to set up your tablet as a dlna/upnp music server and streamer and player. It Works with Chromecast protocol as well. There is a free version to try and then a small fee to unlock additional features. Check it out and see if it meets your needs.

I use it mainly as a control point. I can choose my local media server as a source and then choose what to play and then pick which player to send it to on my network. You can also set up cloud services like Tidal, qobuz, Dropbox, google drive and link them so you can choose what to play and where to send it. It's a pretty great and powerful app.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another option is android audio player pro. It's designed to be a music player that sends bit perfect audio out of your USB port to a downstream DAC. It can read locally stored files and also integrates some streaming services like Tidal. It's more like a streamer/player than bubbleupnp. The interface is nicer too. It's not as flexible and powerful.

I'd purchase both and try them out side by side to see which is better for your needs. The cost is small either way.

OP
A

audioJon

They both look very promising, thank you! And it looks like Bubbleupnp will connect to my Logitech Music Server.

Do you know if the current Chromecast device (not the older Chromecast Audio) will connect to a DAC with the Toslink cable?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not know. This blog posting says it does not. https://allaboutchromecast.com/chromecast-4th-gen-chromecast-with-google-tv/
You can find a Chromecast audio for relatively cheap on ebay though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284408859806?epid=217053957&hash=item423816cc9e:g:vA8AAOSwwzxhFsvW

Also if you need a streaming endpoint I personally recommend a Raspberry Pi4 with Moode Audio player installed. That's what I use in my systems music listening configuration with Bubble upnp as my remote control.

https://moodeaudio.org/

OP
A

audioJon

Ideally, I'd like use my Windows desktop computer to wirelessly stream my Flac files plus internet radio stations to a Node (or similar) then to a headphone amp/dac. Will Equalizer APO/Peace work like this? Also, will I be able to use the computers' sound balance control?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know. Since it's free on Source forge you could download it and see. Maybe read the documentation to see what features it has to stream to an audio endpoint..if it has a player that supports dlna or Chromecast or airplay it should be able to.

Top Bottom