• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using dual center channel speakers - Any downside?

73hadd

Forum Donor
Other than needing an extra channel of amplification, and taking up the extra room, is there any downside to using two of the same center channel speakers side-by-side?

The implementation would be to take the center output from a Pre-Pro, use a Y-splitter, and send that to individual amp channels & duplicate center channel speakers.

I see poor horizontal coverage from a lot of center speakers and I wonder if this would help.

There would be a slight db gain from using two, but can be compensated for in the Pre-Pro if desired.

It would look weird, but has anyone tried dual centers, and pointing them so that they cross in front of the listening position? The theory is that the on-axis speaker response would pull the image to the center of the screen for listeners far to either side.

OP

73hadd

Forum Donor
You mean "coaxial only" center? Like LS50 or Q350?

As opposed to the M-T-M designs like R2C? (Which has the horizontal coverage "issue.") (And also is more like a W-Coax-W I suppose.)

OP

73hadd

Forum Donor
What about using two of the Q350 etc? If someone wanted more degrees of coverage off axis. The mono-summing in the middle should be fine, unless there is some cancellation that I am not aware of.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You mean "coaxial only" center? Like LS50 or Q350?

As opposed to the M-T-M designs like R2C? (Which has the horizontal coverage "issue.") (And also is more like a W-Coax-W I suppose.)
No i meant exactly the R2C, the mid-range and the tweeter are on-top of each other, so there will be no cancellations at all.

The LS50 meta would be a great center too, but i wouldn't recommend it for long distances.

The Q350 is also great, specially at its price. Should get louder than the LS50 meta.

CEA2034%20--%20Kef%20R2c%20Center%20Channel.png

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What about using two of the Q350 etc? If someone wanted more degrees of coverage off axis. The mono-summing in the middle should be fine, unless there is some cancellation that I am not aware of.
Speakers 101, never have two tweeters running simultaneously unless the distances between them is in the millimeters and they're all vertically aligned like a line array.

Also never have more than one mid-range unless they're also vertically aligned.

1316520526_821860.jpg

OP

73hadd

Forum Donor
Another clarifying question. Does listening to two speakers, playing the same mono signal, create comb filtering problems?

nstzya

Speakers 101, never have two tweeters running simultaneously unless the distances between them is in the millimeters and they're all vertically aligned like a line array.

Also never have more than one mid-range unless they're also vertically aligned.

How about widely spaced coaxial and vertically aligned - as in above and below the screen?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How about widely spaced coaxial and vertically aligned - as in above and below the screen?
If the distance between the two drivers is equal to 1/4 wavelength of the crossover frequency then it should be fine. but then why would you use a coaxial like that?

nstzya

Trying to workaround the typical problem with a large screen - trying to get the “apparent“ center speaker to align horizontally with the LR’s. They’re all identical coaxials. Otherwise the center is far below (or above) the LR’s

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Trying to workaround the typical problem with a large screen - trying to get the “apparent“ center speaker to align horizontally with the LR’s. They’re all identical coaxials. Otherwise the center is far below (or above) the LR’s
Weird. My brain just localizes the speech on the screen because that's where it expects to be.

I recommend that you bring the L and R up or down. your idea doesn't seem like a good one.

nstzya

Simple dialogue gets ventriloquist-ed to the screen, yes. But left to right panning effects go on a roller coaster. And the center is too close to the floor or ceiling to move the LR’s there.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've read some favorable reports from those who've placed a center both above and below the screen....never tried myself.

nstzya

If the distance between the two drivers is equal to 1/4 wavelength of the crossover frequency then it should be fine. but then why would you use a coaxial like that?
Why of the crossover frequency?

nstzya

because that's the frequency where both speakers will be running at the same time.
We may be talking about two different things. Are you talking about individual drivers? Or the two center speakers? Obviously the two center speakers are playing ALL frequencies at all times.

Top Bottom