• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using Blue Ray player in CD playing mode

Lancer

Do I get the standard CD digital audio stream from the digital output on your typical DVD? In other words, can I play a standard music CD in my Sony Blue Ray player and send the digital output from the coax to a Topping DAC and get good quality sound?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Assuming no major screwups on part of the player manufacturer (or possibly in its settings), I would generally expect this to work fine.

You should obviously be able to gain something from it, whether it's a balanced output or integrated volume control... as a pure unbalanced line level source, I'd assume most any half-decent BD player would sound fine as-is (perhaps with some minor reduction of output level, like 2-3 dB max, depending on the built-in DAC).

Robin L

Master Contributor
Do I get the standard CD digital audio stream from the digital output on your typical DVD? In other words, can I play a standard music CD in my Sony Blue Ray player and send the digital output from the coax to a Topping DAC and get good quality sound?
I do.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Should work fine but very possible there are configuation options in the Sony's setup for resampling or not, bitstreaming, etc. Take a close look in the manual and setup for any options.

Top Bottom