• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using an XLR splitter to output from DAC to headphone amp and speaker amp.

Boxermotor

I'm looking to add the SMSL SH-9 headphone amp to my SU-9 DAC and DA-9 speaker amp stack. Since the SH-9 doesn't have XLR outputs, is it okay to use an XLR splitter from the DAC to the headphone amp and speaker amp, or do I use the unbalanced RCA outputs on the SH-9 to run to the DA-9?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Yes, it's OK to connect two or more inputs together.

(You should NOT connect multiple outputs together.)

gvl

Major Contributor
An XLR splitter should be fine, that said if you don’t need to use your headphone and speaker amps at the same time an XLR switcher is another option. You can use this in reverse with some gender changers or maybe you can find a version that has one input (female) and several outputs (male).

wimawow

I'm trying to get my headphone amp working off the RCA output jacks but can't seem to get it working. Any owners have advice here? The XLR's go to my home amp / speakers.

Top Bottom