• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using an inline high pass filter?

Oski1928

Hi guys I’ve got a question about introducing an in line high pass filter to my system. I’ve got two different situations that I’d like to know about and that I will lay out below.

I have an integrated amp that does not have pre outs or any form of bass management. I’m currently running tower speakers and I’d like to possibly eliminate the lowest frequencies (probably 30hz and below) from being sent to them. In this circumstance I’m looking for something that would connect via rca between my streamer and my amp. I’ve found some products on Parts Express but they are not very well reviewed. Any possible suggestions about a product that can do this for me, and also any information about any negative effects from doing so would be appreciated.

In my second scenario, I am considering selling my tower speakers and getting bookshelf speakers and a sub. The sub will have to be connected with speaker level connections as once again I do not have pre outs on my amp. With the product in scenario 1 there will not be any low frequencies to send to the sub, so that won’t work. Is there a product I can use that would connect with speaker wire and high pass in between the amp and the speakers. In this circumstance I assume that this will not lessen the load on the amp as it would in the first circumstance, but it would still lessen the load on the speakers.

Thank you for any info!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir recently reviewed some Harrison labs high pass filters. They also make low pass filters which may be what you've seen at Parts Express as they sell that brand. They should work for you.

They have 30 hz, 50 hz and 70 hz to choose from. I'd think you might get better results going with the 50 hz version, but don't know the particulars of your speakers.

muskrat

Their regular high pass filters are 12db per octave. They also sell an 18db@37hz which I have. There's not much in music below 37hz but movies are a different story. Many subs come with speaker level inputs. Many have a crossover for the mains too.

OP
O

Oski1928

Amir recently reviewed some Harrison labs high pass filters. They also make low pass filters which may be what you've seen at Parts Express as they sell that brand. They should work for you.

They have 30 hz, 50 hz and 70 hz to choose from. I'd think you might get better results going with the 50 hz version, but don't know the particulars of your speakers.

Thanks for the info, those are what I was originally looking at. Reading the reviews, people were talking about excessive loss in sound quality and overall volume (frequencies that were not supposed to be attenuated). Don’t know if those reviews are reliable, but I initially was turned off by them.

OP
O

Oski1928

Their regular high pass filters are 12db per octave. They also sell an 18db@37hz which I have. There's not much in music below 37hz but movies are a different story. Many subs come with speaker level inputs. Many have a crossover for the mains too.
If you wouldn’t mind can you send me a link to the 18db@37hz product that your talking about. Thanks

Edit, nvm already found it. Thanks.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They work fine but you need to know your amp's input impedance to be able to get an idea of what the real filter cutoff will be. Then you can use this page where they provide some info to help you with that:

OP
O

Oski1928

They work fine but you need to know your amp's input impedance to be able to get an idea of what the real filter cutoff will be. Then you can use this page where they provide some info to help you with that:
Alright I won’t lie, this is a little beyond my knowledge. I’m having a difficult time understanding this link. Also is there a simple way of finding my amps input impedance?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Alright I won’t lie, this is a little beyond my knowledge. I’m having a difficult time understanding this link. Also is there a simple way of finding my amps input impedance?
The owners manual will often list it on specifications. Or tell us what amp you have and maybe someone has tested it.

chang

I'm looking to do the same with a 2.1 system but for a powered pair of speakers (T5V's). I'm not too concerned with the loss in power since I don't blast the speakers, but more interested in any loss of quality. Would the HPF on a minidsp 2x4 HD be considerably better in this regard?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would just buy a few different sets, keep what works and return the others. I assume Parts Express would let you do that.

Top Bottom