• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using a50s or L30 with music player

Ordonana

Hi, Confused newbie with input and output power questions.

I use an AK Jr player in my bedroom setup. According to specs it has 1.95V RMS maximum output. This barely drives my hd660s or especially my Beyerdynamic dt880 pro (250) ohm for classical music.

I have been considering buying Topping L30, a50s or even Heresy.

My idea would be to connect from 3.5mm to rca input on headphone amp to add oomph to music. I honestly don´t understand the technical discussion about 2 and four volts on the A50s review thread.

Would this be a safe?
In your opinion would it improve volume without deteriorating sound? (are there any disadvantages to adding a headphone amp)
I have got the 4.4mm balanced cable, so do you think the A50s price increase(70 euros) would be worth it over L30?

Thanks for help

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You can safely connect the AK Jr player to A50s and use the balanced out.
The gain is 12dB (audibly a bit more than twice as loud)

Heresy is not balanced out but can be equally loud on a TRS headphone jack as the A50s in balanced mode.

OP
O

Ordonana

"(audibly a bit more than twice as loud)"

Thanks for putting your post into something that makes sense to me! I think I´ll go with the A50s for my HD660s.

Top Bottom