• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using a streamer to decouple my audio source from the pc (Opinions wanted)

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Take a look at the PecanPi Streamer. I have multiple customers that have done exactly what you are saying because they did not want the audio to be tied to their PC for whatever the reason.

I also agree with what others have said here, there are many way to make PC audio very clean and work just as well as streaming.

Freeway

The idea a streamer is future proof is flawed. Quite the contrary.
The idea a PC is not a good source is bunk. Is not a streamer a mini computer?
A streamer certainly has its place if a PC is inconvenient to use.

Kegemusha

If PC is has garbage sound, I wonder how music are produced these days, and many years before, many music studios have PCs.
Nothing wrong with a PC, use the USB out for sound, if you have already one, jus put a good DAC and an old chromecast device for streamer, I have 2 here at home, I am not sure but at least these are 6 years old. I use EAPO and Peace as EQ on my pc, all good.
I use the streamer when I dont want start the PC, after all, a full tower PC consumes a lot of power.

jmillar

Hello all,

Firstly I would like to thank you all for your responses. There are a few things I will quote, but if I don't quote what you've said all you need to know is your input to this discussion has been processed by my brain and has given me good insight into the world of pc audio

The measurements you found are for the Mackie HR624 mkII, which is not my speaker. I'm not sure how mine compare to them, but I have the (MR)624's.

Could you (or someone else) please give me a link to these discussions, or point me in the right direction. Thanks.

I use equalizer APO for my Mackies at the moment, as they experience a "null" and "peak" in the bass response due to their positioning in my room.
View attachment 181109
With this, bass is *so much more linear* and the difference is honestly astonishing. I would like to delve into the world of room correction via measurement microphones as this seems better than doing it by ear, and would also allow me to adjust for treble. Could someone point me in the right direction for this?

I really appreciate this input. It makes so much sense. Same goes for your entire response

Could someone refer me to these also?

I appreciate your comment on my writing skills. I am however studying Mathematical Physics at uni, as maths is actually my strong suit. English, whilst good, I dislike very much as an intellectual subject.
What I want to improve from my current Fiio K3s (2021 edition) is : build quality and feature set. Its nice being able to run speakers and headphones from a DAC, but I want something better. (Better where functionality is concerned)

I really would love a RME ADI-2 FS dac for the following reasons:
-Built in balance control (vital for headphones and iems as my right ear doesnt hear as great when eardrums are very close to drivers)
-Built in EQ
-Display screen
-Higher quality dac (nice to have, regardless of audibility)
-Iem port !! This is sick! (I own iems so it would be used.)
-Balanced 3-pin XLR outputs to stop my RCA cable from picking up interference from my computer monitor
-Remote control

The most im willing to spend at the moment is £1000. This can be on a dac + amp stack, or a combo.
The RME ADI-2 FS (who names these things?) is ideal since it has an amp for the headphone ports

When running unbalanced 3.5mm for the *headphones and iems* there is very minor interference and I think this is due to the fact the dac itself is not perfectly isolated. A shame.

I cannot stress enough how much of a game changer everyones responses has been. You all seem like genuine, decent people who have prevented me from wasting my money!
Sure, nothing wrong with a streamer, but it just isn't right for a 19 year old who uses his pc literally every day to do almost everything he does in his bedroom.

So, to conclude my response,
What other dacs have a feature set such as the features I want the RME ADI-2 FS dac for?
Any better options? Better sounding? Better value for money?
Granted they have balance control built in. Cannot stress this enough. I just love the idea of it

Oh, also, I have audeze LCD-1. Built in EQ is gonna be good for these as opposed to eq'ing via windows. Bass boost and lower mid range boost for male vocals. I presume built-in EQ is better than digital EQ on windows? Please can someone comment their thoughts and opinions on this statement?
I did read on headphones.com that this dac doesn't go well with planars? Idk though.

Thanks,
Square
The RME ADI2 DAC FS provides: an excellent DAC, an excellent preamp to feed your powered monitors or your power amp and speakers. the RME provides an excellent headphone amp, (of course it works with planars, they are just trying to sell you another amp) built in EQ, incredibly informative display all the flexibility in the world AND a price that when you factor in all of the above is not expensive at all. Ah, and a German product, purposeful, pro oriented gear.
Source? Plug it into your computer. Streamers tend to be money wasters. (unless you build your own raspberry based one). Ah! and read a lot of ASR. Do your homework before entering audio shops. Cost for great audio can be surprisingly low if you choose the right components. As for HP, Sundara or HD650 are great and offer the best performance/cost ratio. (A bit of EQ works wonders!). Monitors: look into Kali, or power amp+speakers: look into PA5 and Elac DBR. Use the XLR balanced connectors all the above gear offers.

Top Bottom