• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using a dongle as line out & DAC, running into a desktop amp

Hi members of ASR,

I've been running a SMSL SAP II amp out of an Apple dongle, out of a Windows laptop for some time. I am fairly happy with this set up, but have been made aware of the apparent fact that the Apple dongle, with its output of 1V (possibly less, since I am using the EU version), is limiting the amp. The dongle is also pretty much kaputt after a year of heavy usage, often times not working after being connected/disconnected, so I need a replacement either way. Recently there has been a wave of very decent, affordable dongle like devices, ranging from the Fiio BTR line of devices to stuff like the E1DA portables, Meizu Pro and Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. I want to purchase one of these units as replacement for the Apple dongle, essentially functioning as a DAC.
Now to my actual question: What kind of results can I expect when using any one of these devices as line out, as DAC, running to my amp? Keep in mind that I will not be using them with my phone, I got Samsung Gbuds for mobile usage. My use case is exclusively centered around stationary PC listening. And the performance of these dongle DACs seems perfectly adequate for my purposes. Now the only thing that does make me wonder and that I do worry about, is this: The question of whether these dongles will run at optimal Vrms when used as line out. I have read some reports of pretty much all of them using some kind of impedance detector, toggling a "low" and "high" amp stage as a result. How will this play out when I connect them to the amp? Is this a problem at all?

I would appreciate any advice and insight into the matter. With kind regards, Random Variable.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Hi members of ASR,

I've been running a SMSL SAP II amp out of an Apple dongle, out of a Windows laptop for some time. I am fairly happy with this set up, but have been made aware of the apparent fact that the Apple dongle, with its output of 1V (possibly less, since I am using the EU version), is limiting the amp. The dongle is also pretty much kaputt after a year of heavy usage, often times not working after being connected/disconnected, so I need a replacement either way. Recently there has been a wave of very decent, affordable dongle like devices, ranging from the Fiio BTR line of devices to stuff like the E1DA portables, Meizu Pro and Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. I want to purchase one of these units as replacement for the Apple dongle, essentially functioning as a DAC.
Now to my actual question: What kind of results can I expect when using any one of these devices as line out, as DAC, running to my amp? Keep in mind that I will not be using them with my phone, I got Samsung Gbuds for mobile usage. My use case is exclusively centered around stationary PC listening. And the performance of these dongle DACs seems perfectly adequate for my purposes. Now the only thing that does make me wonder and that I do worry about, is this: The question of whether these dongles will run at optimal Vrms when used as line out. I have read some reports of pretty much all of them using some kind of impedance detector, toggling a "low" and "high" amp stage as a result. How will this play out when I connect them to the amp? Is this a problem at all?

I would appreciate any advice and insight into the matter. With kind regards, Random Variable.

My Apple dongle had the same issue- the problem turned out to not be the dongle, but the jack it plugged into. Some work with a small brush, a plastic flossing stick, and compressed air cleared out impacted dust and debris, and things are working as well as ever.

If you get a device with higher output, it will potentially let you play things louder. Potentially. There won't be any other difference.

BillG

Major Contributor
How will this play out when I connect them to the amp?

I've got an Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle which I'm using as a DAC for my PC, and a Chromecast Audio which I'm using analog, into my amp. The Chromecast output is of a higher voltage than the Apple. However, I've not noticed a difference in volume between the two.

Top Bottom