• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using a dCS Bartók DAC and Roon With a Genelec SAM™ System (For Music and Home Theater)

OP
danielmiessler

danielmiessler

Forum Donor
No compromise would be to feed all the Genelecs digitally. That is also a far cheaper solution.
How would I feed them digitially? Can Roon push to them?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How would I feed them digitially? Can Roon push to them?
It seems that the ISP1 AVR mentioned in voodoo's post can send multichannel digital on aes/ebu. I believe Trinmov Altitude can do that too. None are cheap by any stretch but they seem to do it all: Atmos, Auro, Dirac, multi subs, Roon, etc.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I was looking at a Marantz ‘pre’ processor, no power amps, or the Genelec box already mentioned up thread, is the system going to be both 2 and multi channel?
Keith

OP
danielmiessler

danielmiessler

Forum Donor
Yes, like it says in the title (Music and Home Theater), I'm trying to build something that does both.

But music first.

I'm getting pretty excited that I might be able to get away with a Roon server, which I already have, sending to the Storm MK2 processor which I can get with digital outputs!

Question: what exactly would that be? Like what is the cable/protocol for "digital" going into the Genelec active stuff?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But music first.

Then ask yourself then if it is worth to pay so much for the Storm, if for stereo a simple Chromecast Audio +AES converter would suffice. Multichannel you could do with the analog inputs as well for a much cheaper AVR.

Question: what exactly would that be? Like what is the cable/protocol for "digital" going into the Genelec active stuff?

AES is used for digital inputs. Network is needed for the Genelec software setup functions.

okok

dcs is good, they have this streaming bridge

you can google Merging hapi too

I will go for hapi since it's slightly cheaper

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Joaquinín

Yep. Unfortunately, full digital outputs are only available in the highest of the high-ends.
A much cheaper HTPC/laptop will do the same work with JRiver, using perfect multichannel USB out (then to AES using miniDSP UDIO8). Depending on how important video is for you, JRiver includes also very advanced video features (though the computer needs to be quite powerful to be able to exploit those).

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A much cheaper HTPC/laptop will do the same work with JRiver, using perfect multichannel USB out (then to AES using miniDSP UDIO8). Depending on how important video is for you, JRiver includes also very advanced video features (though the computer needs to be quite powerful to be able to exploit those).

It all depends on what your sources are? If your streaming using Netflix, Apple+, Amazon or the likes, that won’t work.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Yes, like it says in the title (Music and Home Theater), I'm trying to build something that does both.

But music first.

I'm getting pretty excited that I might be able to get away with a Roon server, which I already have, sending to the Storm MK2 processor which I can get with digital outputs!

Have Amir build it for you,he owns Madrona Digital.

3125b

Major Contributor
If you are really considering buying that kind of a setup form Genelec for tens of thousands of dollars, I'd suggest giving them (or your local certified dealer) a call, they will surely help you with the optimal setup.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@danielmiessler

Thread has gone dry ...
Considering your budget and aspirations. It would be wise to consider some, IME, better and more flexible alternatives than the GLM... You can keep using the speakers and you may (will) not need the Bartok .

The Trinnov Altitude 32
or
The StormAudio ISP16 Processor

Either would, with the complement of speakers you are considering , provide you with endgame Audio systems.

Peace.

Top Bottom