• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using a binaural mic set to record one of my speaker builds (finally a decent binaural mic)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Interesting (to me) how the "hiss" noise stops at 4:42.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As mentioned before, I had a question with binaural recordings - what should the ideal headphone response look like? Recording a "room" signature and using a "room" signature headphone a la Harman will add double room signatures.

OP
Joppe Peelen

Joppe Peelen

As mentioned before, I had a question with binaural recordings - what should the ideal headphone response look like? Recording a "room" signature and using a "room" signature headphone a la Harman will add double room signatures.
i do not know, im not all to much in headphones. i believe there is a curve people use to be considered flat for our ears. (the minidsp EARS measurement setup comes with a calibration file for instance) not put much effort in it yet reading up on it

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i do not know, im not all to much in headphones. i believe there is a curve people use to be considered flat for our ears. (the minidsp EARS measurement setup comes with a calibration file for instance) not put much effort in it yet reading up on it
So what is your impression when listening to headphones (which ones)? Is the amount of bass more or less compared to the live event?

OP
Joppe Peelen

Joppe Peelen

So what is your impression when listening to headphones (which ones)? Is the amount of bass more or less compared to the live event?
naah i do not have a good pair of headphones at the moment (some stupid game headset) i did measure the mics themselfs and compared them to my measuring mic from ISemcon, and bass wise they are rather the same (both being omni's there is propper bass) although, when listened on my headset i think it sounded slightly bass heavy. but that could well be my headphone.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
naah i do not have a good pair of headphones at the moment (some stupid game headset) i did measure the mics themselfs and compared them to my measuring mic from ISemcon, and bass wise they are rather the same (both being omni's there is propper bass) although, when listened on my headset i think it sounded slightly bass heavy. but that could well be my headphone.

You bought a binaural microphone and you don’t have a decent headphone?

Your priorities don’t seem very straightened up imo.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would be interested to know how to EQ such files to be compatible with Harman-curve headphones. Especially the bass becomes a bit boomy. I made a try below with EQ but it is still issues.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would be interested to know how to EQ such files to be compatible with Harman-curve headphones. Especially the bass becomes a bit boomy. I made a try below with EQ but it is still issues.

Good point, the OP has to eq his in-room response to flat for it to sound good on any other end-player device, Other wise you're just compounding treble loss / bass boosts.

OP
Joppe Peelen

Joppe Peelen

Good point, the OP has to eq his in-room response to flat for it to sound good on any other end-player device, Other wise you're just compounding treble loss / bass boosts.
i must admit my speakers might have had a slight curve in this direction (since i listen to them in my room) witch, might in the end double the effect your headphones and or speakers add. thus being more bass heavy then they should. Good point!!!

OP
Joppe Peelen

Joppe Peelen

Yeah just using EQ is not enough i think, it still stays a bit to roomy.. the room is troublesome, and even more with a recoding with omni;s :) all the room you can get haha.

i shall try once making the speakers flat, see how that fairs. so the curve is not doubled. the room acoustic might remain troublesome.

OP
Joppe Peelen

Joppe Peelen

Can’t you guys adjust for all this in your head?
Well the problem is not that huge, i did end up with a bit more bass compared to top end since my speakers already had a form of a harman curve. then recorded with a flat mic and then you headphone/speaker added a harman curve again... and we all know all speakers and headphone differ in that regard allot.

i wonder how the Harman curve became a thing. if they did listening tests. the question remains on what speakers where the test music mixed ? did they already had a curve to ? or where they flat. since what i see more often then not in mastered tunes is a abundance of top end, completely countering the curve. then someone can say the preferred the curve, but they could as well leave everything flat on both sides and end up with the same

I might look up how the curve came to be. since its weird to say this is what people prefer, since it is based on how the darn thing was mixed (if at all)

hmm i might have mixed 2 things up, harman headphone curve. and in room speaker curve with reflections.

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
then you headphone/speaker added a harman curve again...
Did mine?

Not trying to be argumentative. Maybe I just don’t follow the discussion. In any case I feel there wasn’t much preventing me from experiencing what you were experiencing. Or at least getting an idea.

OP
Joppe Peelen

Joppe Peelen

what a mess :) would be so nice if flat was the way to go in any case. and adjust in the mix for personal taste of the people that create music... its retarded to me to adjust for preferences on the curve of a headphone and in room speakers. instead of reproducing what you put in. in the end its all depending on how a person mixed/mastered it (unless its raw) and what curve if any there speakers/headphones used. what a mess :)

OP
Joppe Peelen

Joppe Peelen

Did mine?

Not trying to be argumentative. Maybe I just don’t follow the discussion. In any case I feel there wasn’t much preventing me from experiencing what you were experiencing. Or at least get an idea.
well i enjoyed the recording when using a headphone (of course in real live its better). maybe a tad to much low end. but yeah. i might make it all to complicated :)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ideally, you should use headphones calibrated for binaural recordings, in this case for in-concha mics. I’ve seen some posts about it but no curve.

It is of interest since it gives us at least some tools for listening and comparing speakers in rooms.

Top Bottom