• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Used to make Hypex Ncore amp cases and might make more!

OP
Aluminati

Aluminati

That's much more reasonable.

I have a CNC machine for woodworking and had to create similar organic textures. I resorted to modulating/programming the toolpath rather than 3-D modeling of the shapes. Is that how you do it?

How long does it take to machine one of these cases?

I use a mixture of geometry based and 3D model toolpaths. I've been using GibbsCAM for years now and absolutely love it!

It takes about 4 hours per case to machine :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It takes about 4 hours per case to machine
OK, that's interesting. You then have about 8 hours of machine time per stereo pair alone.
I'm wondering aprox. what you book that time at per hour
Not at all trying to stick my nose in your business but still finding you pricing on them very low.

OP
Aluminati

Aluminati

OK, that's interesting. You then have about 8 hours of machine time per stereo pair alone.
I'm wondering aprox. what you book that time at per hour
Not at all trying to stick my nose in your business but still finding you pricing on them very low.

Prices on materials have certainly changed since I first made these Ncore cases but like I said around $1,500 a pair. Once enough interest comes in I can get quotes on material and audio/power connectors.

Material $300
Connectors $250 (most cost is WBT binding posts)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Form follows function..

OP
Aluminati

Aluminati

So it comes with connectors for the $1,500 per pair?
Yes the cases are machined for certain connectors. Standard XLR input, standard AC inlet, standard switch and WBT binding posts (they are very well built and they do not sound better lol).

One thing I should mentioned, when designing these cases I purposely mounted the modules in upside down so the heat would rise into the case and heat sink it out. It works quite well at this.

westyjeff

Do you have a source for the N400 components other than Hypex?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Now that's being greedy. LOL

Haha... I agree.

They would be around $1,500 for a pair of mono block cases. I used to sell these as completed amps but that is not something I want to get back into. So these are DIY on your end but very easy to put together.

That's a very attractive price in my experience. Unless you have at least a 10 piece production run, the margins on those are most probably " hobbyists thin", considering the machining hours and the costs of the materials.you mentioned Not to mention the CAD design and CNC programming time spent.

(I deal with machinists almost on an almost weekly basis as I do mechanical design for my clients, if you are wondering. )

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
you mentioned Not to mention the CAD design and CNC programming time spent.
Plus wear and tear on the tooling and amortized cost of the CNC machine....

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Plus wear and tear on the tooling and amortized cost of the CNC machine....
That's calculated into the machine hours costs at most machining companies.
Exceptions being specially shaped cutters used to shortcut profile shaping needs.

Dogen

Forum Donor
I’ve always thought that if manufacturers put more creativity into their designs, they could stand above the crowd and attract customers. Does exciting design really cost more than boring design? You’ve done very, very nice work here!

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That said, I am very impressed.

Somehow, just reading this thread for the first time, I had a feeling that you would drool over these cases John, even though you abhor "overpriced" audio gear.

OP
Aluminati

Aluminati

I’ve recently acquired a few accounts for high performance car part manufacturing and will not be able to commit to these amp cases.

I’m very sorry for the news.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was readying myself to acquire some Audio Jewelry .. Back to square One. Must say they were great looking. Perhaps the CAD files if that is not asking too much :facepalm: ...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I’ve recently acquired a few accounts for high performance car part manufacturing
Sounds like your entering an exciting corner of manufacturing, enjoy the ride! ;)

Top Bottom