• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Used Steinway Lyndorf SP-1 stereo processor/pre-amp and A1 stereo amp for 5000$, take it or leave it?

EB1000

Hi

Someone in my hometown has these two in mint condition (mic and boxes included) for only 5k. I understand that the A1 is an all-digital class-d amp (power-DAC). The connections between the pre-amp is done by a digital interface that looks like an RJ-45 network connection. These products are 8 years old, so I'm not sure how good the amp is. I can't find any reviews on these products. I've contacted Lyndorf and asked them some more details about the products, but didn't get a reply yet.

This is the SP-1:

https://steinwaylyngdorf.com/steinway-sons-sp-1/

And this is the A1 amp:

https://steinwaylyngdorf.com/steinway-sons-a1a2/

For the same price, I can a new NAD M33

Is anyone familiar with this company? What is the difference between Lyndorf products and steinway & sons - Lyndorf?

The guy who is selling them. told me that he paid 11,000$ for them 5 years ago.

Thanks

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The Lyngdorf will not support streaming without external devices, does not support balanced input and, more significantly, does not specify what audio formats it supports. This is significant for items which are not a new products.

Lyngdorf and Steinway/Lyngdorf are now really one company and well established.

OP
EB1000

EB1000

Lyngdorf is switching to Purifi amplification. I would not opt for their own older digital design.

That would be interesting. All their current products feature a digital amplifier (PWM implemented in the digital domain by converting PCM directly into PWM). How would it be possible with Purifi which uses analog to PWM with feedback (self-oscillating)?

tjf

That would be interesting. All their current products feature a digital amplifier (PWM implemented in the digital domain by converting PCM directly into PWM). How would it be possible with Purifi which uses analog to PWM with feedback (self-oscillating)?

They would change their processor models to use a conventional DAC (PCM) output for the # of channels used (2, 8, 16, etc.) and a traditional analog or digital volume controlled analog buffer/line stage output for those channels, as the input to their new purifi amps will be a conventional analog line input...

Or if they really want to stick with the DDFA concept, the DDFA stages would be reconfigured as a line level PCM-to-PWM conversion output stage (like a NAD M12 preamp) to create an analog line output to drive the input of the purifi amp(s)...

Top Bottom