• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Used Lake People G109A vs JDS Labs Atom

Lake People G109A vs JDS Labs Atom

• Total voters

Zerviscos

It has been a stressful two weeks trying to find a good amp/dac for my first desktop setup. I've been using a Fiio A3 and X3 Gen 2 for a while with my HD6XX, and wanted to go desktop since I barely listen on the go anymore.

The past 2 weeks I've cycled through many options for around the $200~$300 range for both the amp and dac stacks. I first went with deciding if I should get the Schiit Stack 2Uber or he Topping A30/D30, then eventually I've went on with deciding with the Geshelli Labs Stack or the other two, then as time goes longer I discovered JDS Labs Atom, and contemplating which I should pick. Ultimately, I was going to pick the Atom as my amp and buy the OL DAC / Grace Balanced SDAC, but then someone posted a $150 used Lake People G109A, which is the Anniversary edition of the G109P.

So now I'm torn once more. Is the $150 G109A worth it's $30 more than the $120(includes shipping) JDS Labs Atom?

I'll be using an HD6XX, and buy more headphones in the future. Probably the most expensive I'll buy is the HD800S then move to IEMs once I buy a couple of mid-fi planars.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It will be pretty safe to say that when it comes to sound and available power all mentioned systems are equally audible transparent and capable.

Given the fact that the first component that will crap out on you will be the volume control and the second component its power supply (probably long after you replaced your stack again)
The G109A with its RK27 blue velvet pot seems the be technically the one I would choose.

When using very sensitive IEM's the Atom (the G109 may hum audibly with IEM's).

I would choose the stack that looks the best to you in this case.

Last edited:
OP
Zerviscos

Zerviscos

It will be pretty safe to say that when it comes to sound and available power all mentoned systems are equally audible transparent and capable.

Given the fact that the first component that will crap out on you will be the volume control and the second component its power supply (probably long after you replaced your stack again)
The G109A with its RK27 blue velvet pot seems the be technically the one I would choose.

When using very sensitive IEM's the Atom (the G109 may hum audibly with IEM's).

I would choose the stack that looks the best to you in this case.
Alright, I'll choose the G109A, definitely looks the best. And tbh I feel like I'll buy a second amp anyways next time, might be the Atom. I mean, the Atom will always be $99(hopefully), but a used G109A for $150 is a pretty good deal.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes a Lake People G109a for $150 is a good deal.

Top Bottom