• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Used Debut Carbon Evo - New stylus or new cartridge?

raindance

Major Contributor
The higher compliance 540ML might be a better match for the lightweight Pro-ject arm, no? Will still need low capacitance (maybe even more important than the VM95ML).
Yes, the 540ml works on that arm (it's what I used). The 95ml might not be such a good tracker on there.

basm

Yes, the 540ml works on that arm (it's what I used). The 95ml might not be such a good tracker on there.
I read about this on another forum as well, but nobody that actually tried it. I have an AT LP120USB with the VM95ML. I'm thinking of upgrading the turntable to some in the debut carbon line, but I don't want to get rid of the VM9ML.. Do you know if it will really give problems or is it just theoretically not a perfect fit but still does the trick?

Last edited:

raindance

Major Contributor
I read about this on another forum as well, but nobody that actually tried it. I have an AT LP120USB with the VM95ML. I'm thinking of upgrading the turntable to some in the debut carbon line, but I don't want to get rid of the VM9ML.. Do you know if it will really give problems or is it just theoretically not a perfect fit but still does the trick?
I really don't know. My carbon fiber arm is older and even lighter than the new one. The VM540ML tracked really well with it. I would say with the new arm having a higher effective mass you may be lucky with the lower compliance 95ML cartridge. It's worth a try.

It's a bit frustrating that Pro-ject is supplying these lightweight arms in a day and age where the good, affordable high compliance cartridges are all but gone. The Rega arms and the Fluance ones also are definitely a better match with the 95 series.

The theory puts the resonant frequency in the wrong range, but if it tracks ok and your speakers don't pump endlessly, then it'll be ok.

direwolf08

Enjoy the pairing, OP. I went from the 2M red to the VM540ML (very similar to the Shibata) and the upgrade was substantial. I think you made the right choice!

Top Bottom