• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Use Node 2i integrated DAC or Sprout100 DAC?

klettermann

This is a simple setup for casual listening in living room. Still, why not get the best out of it? After reading respective reviews it seems like Sprout100 DAC outperforms the Node 2i DAC. If so I'd use the Sprout100 DAC. Buy I don't entirely understand the specs. I've tried it both ways but I can't hear a clear favorite, probably cause my old ears are shot. But somebody younger might hear a difference and I don't want to deprive them. Anybody have a point of view? Thanks and cheers,

MacCali

Major Contributor
This is a simple setup for casual listening in living room. Still, why not get the best out of it? After reading respective reviews it seems like Sprout100 DAC outperforms the Node 2i DAC. If so I'd use the Sprout100 DAC. Buy I don't entirely understand the specs. I've tried it both ways but I can't hear a clear favorite, probably cause my old ears are shot. But somebody younger might hear a difference and I don't want to deprive them. Anybody have a point of view? Thanks and cheers,
The difference maybe negligible. I mean if it’s not too much you can always purchase a better dac and see if you get any benefit. Don’t think it will jump leaps and bounds.

Try a blind test and have someone switch for you while you listen and see to avoid any bias

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am with @McCali. Do a test if you must. Otherwise save the money or spent it on something else or save it for better speakers, headphones in the future - usually a better bang for the buck.

LuvTheMusic

On paper, the performance of the Node DAC is not great. But "not great" is in comparison to truly high-performance DACs. The differences surely are at the edge, or over the edge of audibility for most people on most music -- and maybe for just about all people on just about all music. In other words, there really is such a thing as "good enough"!

If money is no object, or if you know that you'll obsess about maybe missing something, and if you can't think of any other improvements more likely to pay off (room treatment and/or room correction come to mind), then sure, mess around with another DAC. Or if you are just being modest and your "simple" system really is a high end one, *maybe* someone will hear a slight difference.

BTW, I write not as an audio engineer or expert in acoustics or anything like that, but as someone who has heard a lot of equipment, chased a lot of ephemeral and even bogus improvements, and has finally learned his lesson!

OP
K

klettermann

Thanks for the comments. This is indeed a simple system, about as basic as it gets. I have no intention of upgrading it one iota. In fact I recently downgraded the speakers (which was noted by my partner to my surprise). It's really about background music while hanging out. Just want to get the most out of it. I'll do a blind test with my partner just for fun. But as some have commented, any improvement is likely to be miniscule at best. Cheers,

almostseaworthy

first timer with a DAC question-I have a bluesound 2i, a Michi X5 Preamp, a pass lab 250.8 running into Maggies .7i-
I am wondering a general question, then a specific one- how does the the DAC environment cascade if you will? If the Bluesound has a DAC, and the Michi has a DAC, and heaven forbid if I add a dac between the two, do I have DAC overdose? How do the DACs know each other is there, and how to they maintain "which DAC is in charge, anways?
thanks

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
I added a good DAC to my node 2i because of the performance boost on paper. I removed it because it doesn’t make an audible difference and I don’t care for the extra complication/outlets needed in the setup. Don’t get hung up on the nodes performance, especially for a casual setup.

OP
K

klettermann

first timer with a DAC question-I have a bluesound 2i, a Michi X5 Preamp, a pass lab 250.8 running into Maggies .7i-
I am wondering a general question, then a specific one- how does the the DAC environment cascade if you will? If the Bluesound has a DAC, and the Michi has a DAC, and heaven forbid if I add a dac between the two, do I have DAC overdose? How do the DACs know each other is there, and how to they maintain "which DAC is in charge, anways?
thanks
Huh? DACs typically have 1 or more digital inputs and audio outputs. Please tell how you would hook them up in the wait you describe.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
The NODE (2021) while non a stelar performer, it's more than OK for casual listening. I had one and after comparing it with a Topping D90SE and hear no difference, I returned the D90SE. Yes, there is almost 40dB difference in SINAD but at least for me, it wasn't noticeable during casual music listening sessions with my Revel M106s speakers.

OP
K

klettermann

I have no thoughts of upgrading either the node 2i or the Sprout100. The question is just which DAC to use of anybody knew. This is an option since the Sprout has an interested DAC. A listening test will answer that if I ever get around to it. My guess is that I won't be able to tell, especially since I recently downgraded the speakers from kef LS50s to old Quart 1's. Thanks for the comments!

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Before selling my NODE, I was using it as a transport only feeding a Topping E50 via Coax and worked great. Again, no audible difference between the NODE’s internal DAC and the Topping E50. Currently I’m feeding the E50 via USB from a Rapsberry Pi 4 with Pi Display running RopieeeXL. I use Roon as a streaming software. The Rapsberry Pi 4 + E50 combo is soon going to be replaced by a Matrix Audio Element i2 that is on the way already.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m lost with your questions and responses so far.

It sounds like you’ve already made up your mind.

But I’ll offer my 2 cents. You won’t hear a difference between them if properly volume matched. Why not keep it simple and ditch the second DAC. Most of us on ASR know that the Node is not a great device and over priced but will it be worse? No.

Top Bottom