• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Usb vbus isolator

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Some claim these devices work great (there are a bunch of them).
Technically the 5V on the USB output should (but on sometimes isn't) filtered by the DAC and should be no problem.
It could help if a USB output (phone or tablet or laptop) isn't able to supply enough current for some reason.
Measurements indicate it usually doesn't change much if anything on the analog output when the USB port is capable of supplying enough power.
This also can be DAC dependent as not all DACs draw the same amount of current.

Short answer: Usually doesn't do anything but in some situations it might be useful.
Improve sound quality ? Nope, ensure proper operation... in some cases yes.

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
most are based around an ADUM chip I believe. If you need to power a dac with USB voltages and your computer has trouble delivering enough voltage then they can be a good way of inserting a discrete power supply into a dac.
I had something similar rigged up many years ago to power an HRT Streamer Pro which needed a decent 5 Volt supply. I don't know what the modern units are like but mine couldn't cope with more than 16 bit audio.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
This dongle isn't an USB isolator, it just cuts the +5V line and feeds a fresh +5V.
There is no USB isolator or galvanic separation in this particular device.

Grattle

I don't think it feeds any voltage forward. Obviously, it only works for battery or mains powered devices.

Top Bottom