• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB to USB Streamer ¦ Replacing a computer in an audio system

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
That URL does not work. In addition, I have not found any review with Google. Do you have any other useful link?
Thanks
1. The link works for me.
2. The Sigma Streamer works well for me but I have tried it only with the exSound e38/II. The designer says that it might work with other non-exaSound DACS but he has not tried (nor have I).
3. I might give it a try.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This discussion rears it’s head a lot and I’m not sure why:) We are talking about a server that connects to a network inc. internet, some storage and a dac. Surely the criteria are the same as with any other server application-it should make data available, keep it confidential and maintain its integrity within an expected budget meeting specific operational requirements around energy consumption/size/environment etc. Surely the discussion should be about the suitability of the hardware/software stack, the storage options, does it handle backups properly (BTW the answer is absolutely not in all cases I have seen)
and oh yes, it needs at enough USB ports to connect the dac and a harddrive or two. I worry about the psychological impact on the audiophiles that are going to lose 000’s of ripped cds when the magnetic poles switch and all they’ve been taught to worry about is the utterly solved problem of the usb output.:facepalm:;)

OP
F

Fleuch

I'm looking for a good (and future-proof) streamer with USB audio output and MQA and DSD passthrough (at least with 32bit/384kHz and DSD256 support). My candidates are:

My use cases will be: Streaming from Tidal (Masters included, so full MQA support is important) and maybe Qobuz too. I also would like to connect an USB portable hard drive with FLAC and APE files and manage a local library for quick searching. Internet radios are welcome but not a must. I don't know the Volumio OS but I have seen videos on YouTube and seems easy to use and reliable. I currently have a SMSL SU-9 DAC but I think I'm going to replace it with a Gustard X16 when is available (so MQA rendering won't be an issue).

Comments and other recommendations are welcome. Modern hardware would be desirable (for example BT 5.0, double band WiFi, recent chipset...)
but keep in mind that WiFi support is almost mandatory and I'm not a Roon (or Audirvana) user (I don't want a computer working 24/7).

Thanks in advance

Hi Boblo, The music pathway I am interested in is from an external hard drive, through an audio-quality renderer (or streamer) and an external DAC, to a an acceptably-fi amplifier, avoiding a ubiquitous laptop handling the music data. This is similar to what you describe, without connecting to the internet to access Tidal or Qobuz.

It is worth noting that the Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra and Stack Audio Link II are very similar and the designs are from, I believe, the drawing board of the same engineer. Both, I also believe, use customised Volumio software, but hope there may be someone who is able to verify this. The original Stack Audio Link had a USB input, but Stack Audio have deleted, or disabled, this feature to improve the streaming performance; the Stack Audio Link II is simply a streamer, unable to handle files on an external hard drive.

There are a number of excellent reviews (https://www.hifichoice.com/content/volumio-primo; https://www.avforums.com/reviews/volumio-primo-network-audio-player-review.16218) of the Volumio Primo, (https://volumio.org/product/volumio-primo/ ) which is based on the Asus Tinkerboard. Correspondence with Volumio confirms that the four USB ports can be individually configured as input or output, with the option of a coax digital output. The long awaited Volumio Motivo (https://volumio.org/epic-journey-called-volumio-motivo/ ) will be shipped towards the middle of the year Cost might be a barrier although there is no need for an additional smart phone or tablet to run an app to control the renderer / streamer as it has its own interactive display.

If the Auralic Aries Mini was still available it would be top of the value-for-money list, which is what I am using but considering a move up the ladder. There are a number of hardware options to browse through, but "the budget" is always the defining factor. It is a personal preference not to consider the SoTM sMS 200 series (https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sms-200/ ). Next up are the Lindemann Bridge and Network devices in the Limetree series of products (https://lindemann-audio.de/products/limetree-series/network/?lang=en; https://lindemann-audio.de/products/limetree-series/bridge/?lang=en). Based on the RaspberryPi, Orchard Audio's PecanPi (https://orchardaudio.com/pecanpi ) has attracted very positive reviews at a reasonable price point. A little more basic, and adventurous, is the DigiOne range (https://www.allo.com/ )

This list is far from exhaustive.

Many thanks to gkhowell for posting the link to the exaSound web site. The exaSound SigmaStreamer ( https://www.exasound.com/Products/SigmaStreamer.aspx) deserves a closer look, particularly at its price point, although the shipping cost from Canada is a deterrent ! The web site has information on a range of other interesting products, particularly the streaming DACs.

There is much debate on whether MQA is a valued addition to audiophile excellence or is a marketing ploy by NAD / Lenbrook Group. It should not be seen as the new audio nirvana, but left to the perception of each individual listener to decide on its merits.

Lastly, why do you want to replace the SMSL SU-9 with a Gustard X16 ? Would you hear any major differences in your system between the SMSL SU-9 and the Gustard X16 if you were to play the same music through each as part of an A/B test? The SU-9 uses a single ESS9038Pro chip and the X16 uses two ESS9068AS chips in dual mono configuration. There is little to choose between the two, based on Amir's reviews, particularly in the SINAD measurements.. It is not all about the DAC chip iself, it is the listening experience, the overall implementation, the components around the DAC and the overall circuit design.

Hope some of this helps :cool:

boblo

It is worth noting that the Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra and Stack Audio Link II are very similar and the designs are from, I believe, the drawing board of the same engineer.
Yes, John Westlake, I think he was a former Cambridge Audio engineer, although the main engineer of the Link II was Theo Stack (I think that Westlake was an assistant in this project). But according Hans Beekhuyzen, the Link II has a more polished motherboard (as I said, it uses an eMMc drive as internal storage and it has better cooling due to better housing). However, I think that the motherboard is the same.
Both, I also believe, use customised Volumio software, but hope there may be someone who is able to verify this.
No, it isn't. The Pro-Ject uses a customized Volumio OS, but the Link II uses the Stack OS if I'm not wrong. They discarded Volumio this time, although you can flash the original Volumio OS if you want (but you'll lose the WiFi driver) as you can with the S2 Ultra.
The original Stack Audio Link had a USB input, but Stack Audio have deleted, or disabled, this feature to improve the streaming performance;
Not exactly. The USB input on the Link II is there but disabled until Stack Audio release a new firmware with mass storage support. They show a picture on their website with the USB input and the following caption: 'reserved for future use'. The same goes for the HDMI output, is currently disabled for 'better performance', but you can enable it with a third-party OS. Further information here (go to the bottom of the web page).
There are a number of excellent reviews (https://www.hifichoice.com/content/volumio-primo; https://www.avforums.com/reviews/volumio-primo-network-audio-player-review.16218) of the Volumio Primo, (https://volumio.org/product/volumio-primo/ ) which is based on the Asus Tinkerboard. Correspondence with Volumio confirms that the four USB ports can be individually configured as input or output, with the option of a coax digital output.
Interesting. Do you think the Primo is better (SQ wise) than the S2 Ultra and the Link II? I'm considering it, although I think I won't take advantage of its built-in DAC, but the HiFi edition (with Tidal and Qobuz integration) is reasonably priced at €649. That being said, I have received an offer for a second-hand (but almost new, with few hours usage) S2 Ultra for €550. What would you do? I'm hesitant... Keep in mind that the S2 Ultra is at €699 on most online shops. Anyway, I think it's overpriced, because it's basically a refined Raspberry Pi 3B with a customized Volumio OS.
The long awaited Volumio Motivo (https://volumio.org/epic-journey-called-volumio-motivo/ ) will be shipped towards the middle of the year Cost might be a barrier although there is no need for an additional smart phone or tablet to run an app to control the renderer / streamer as it has its own interactive display.
What a shame, it's pretty nice, but I'm in a hurry now, can't wait.
If the Auralic Aries Mini was still available it would be top of the value-for-money list, which is what I am using but considering a move up the ladder.
Interesting. I think Auralic is an expensive brand, their wonderful Aries G1 costs more than $2,000.
There are a number of hardware options to browse through, but "the budget" is always the defining factor. It is a personal preference not to consider the SoTM sMS 200 series (https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sms-200/ ).
WHY? Some people recommended this.

What do you think about the INNUOS ZENMINI MK III?
Lastly, why do you want to replace the SMSL SU-9 with a Gustard X16 ? Would you hear any major differences in your system between the SMSL SU-9 and the Gustard X16 if you were to play the same music through each as part of an A/B test? The SU-9 uses a single ESS9038Pro chip and the X16 uses two ESS9068AS chips in dual mono configuration. There is little to choose between the two, based on Amir's reviews, particularly in the SINAD measurements.. It is not all about the DAC chip iself, it is the listening experience, the overall implementation, the components around the DAC and the overall circuit design.
Due to quality issues. I'm happy with its sound (truly awesome), but build quality is mediocre at best. Mine is not stable, I have the '3 rubber feet issue' as others stated before; the USB connector is not reliable and the USB cable is not easy to remove either (others stated this too). In addition, the built-in sound color filters (with 'Tube' or 'Crystal' emulation) are 'placebo' (at least with my Hi-Fi gear), although other reviewers also agree about this. Last but not least (for me) I prefer the sample rate with big numbers instead of the current volume, because I leave the volume fixed and modify it with my amplifier.
Hope some of this helps :cool:
Yes, you have been helpful. Thanks.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The reasons for providing an “air gap” in an audio system between a computer and a DAC are many, particularly the noise on either the USB or Ethernet outputs. A laptop, tablet or smartphone provide options to control audio standard devices such as network players, network streamers, network bridges and other devices.

Many of the DACs listed on ASR have USB inputs and may be designed with direct connection to a computer as part of the brief.

Few network streamers are available to replace a computer that have a USB input for a hard disk drive, as the music source, and a USB output to the DAC.

This is important, as changing or upgrading the DAC is less expensive than changing a network player. From the specifications of most network players, the actual DAC chips often have lower specifications, or are an earlier release by the chip manufacturer, compared to stand-alone DACs. For example, Audiolab have used the ESS ES9018K2M chip in its latest range of audio products. Agreed, and for the avoidance of doubt, the performance of a DAC depends on much more than the DAC chip itself but it helps if mainstream manufacturers incorporate new and improved products in their designs, such as ESS ES9038Q2M or PRO. It gives the purchaser confidence that the manufacturer has a policy of continuous development..

There is not a wide selection of network streamers available that have a USB input and a USB output to connect to a USB DAC available at reasonable cost, where software, and the hardware required to control the streamer, further restricts choice.

A very incomplete survey suggests the following are some of the options currently available,

Volumio: Primo and Mini. From the information available, the devices have the Volumio software embedded and controlled through a web browser running on another device.

Pro-Ject: Head Box S2 Digital; Stream Box S2; Stream Box S2 Ultra. Only the Stream Box S2 Ultra has a USB output.

Auralic: Aries Mini: no longer available from Auralic but can still be found. The problem is the app only runs under iOS. Retailers have suggested a web browser can be used to control the Mini.

SOtM : the basic design is the SMS 200 Neo, with a range of “improved” options and upgrade plug-in modules available. An earlier version of the SMS200 has been reviewed on ASR (Many thanks for the hard work, Amir)

Stack Audio : The Link. Reviewers have noted the similarity of the design, influenced by John Westlake, to the Stream Box S2 Ultra. Also reviewers have noted an improvement in sound quality due to additional filtering and cooler operation.

Going upmarket

Lindemann : Limetree Bridge and Limetree Network. Reviewers have reported excellent sound quality when using both devices, but note the cost of either is high. Both devices use a Lindemann app.

Leema : Elements Streamer. There is no USB output and the cost is excessive.

Most of the designs appear to incorporate a SBC, in some cases a RaspberryPi Compute Module.

The only device tested by ASR is an earlier version of the SOtM SMS 200. There may be similar products available from SMSL, Topping and other manufacturers but are not easy to find.

Streaming is not important to me now but would be a welcome as a form of future proofing.

Discussion on the use of these devices and advice on how to obtain the best value for money would be most welcome.

As a post script, the Topping D90 DAC looks very attractive; again thanks to Amir for a review so soon after product release.

If you only do what you have always done, you will only get what you have always had (attributed to Albert Einstein)

As far as I can tell a standard raspberry pi b 4 with 1g of ram easily meets your requirements. I just got rid of my allo usbridge sig and replaced it with the pi and a very nice aluminium fabless case from akasa. The the power supply the cost was about £60 British pounds. It’s fine, I didn’t bother to blind test to know it is indistinguishable because my dac doesn’t care whether it got a packet of data from the latest dCS car priced device or a toaster.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just read the volumio motivo blurb. Looked interesting at first, then I saw something about using fgpa and ‘emancipating the Audio Quality outcome from the OS\CPU combination’. :facepalm:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many thanks for the replies.

There will will always be EMI, or what might be called "pick up" on the USB output of a laptop or a PC, simply because of the many processes executed in the machine. A well-designed audio aware device will minimise the impact of the noise on the data stream.

Volumio is a Linux-based audiophile operating system similar to Daphile but the enthusiasts who have developed the software also have developed hardware streamers based on the software:

Volumio Mini 86: https://volumio.org/product/volumio-mini86/

Volumio Primo: https://volumio.org/product/volumio-primo/

The Stack Audio Link uses Volumio as its operating system:

Stack Audio Link: https://stackaudio.co.uk/link/

All of the streamers listed in the original post are "ready to run out of the box" and are "ready made" solutions to the problem of streaming from a USB hard drive to a USB DAC.

For me the simplicity of this approach is important, rather than the equally valid approach using Raspberry Pi boards. As you may guess, I could put together a DIY system based on the RPI and an appropriate operating system, or use a similar SBC such as the Asus Tinkerboard, but would prefer to pay the premium and purchase a finished product.

My other thought was to avoid if possible the other devices that might be connected in the signal path, such as reclockers and galvanic isolators, not to mention the possibility of linear power supplies for each device - again to keep things as simple as possible.

There are differencess in the various software music players, as demonstrated by another recent thread. In the same way there must be differences in the various hardware streamers. Rather than rely on retailers for information, I was hoping there might be those who read these pages who might be able to offer advice based on their "lived experience".

The opinion in the shop is that the sound quality from the Lindemann packages is superior. At the price it really should be, but it would be great to find something that is nearly as good but at less cost.

Many thanks for signposting to Sonore (https://www.sonore.us/microRendu.html). On first reading the it would seem the microRendu requires an Ethernet input and provides a USB-A output, but not sure about the software used to control it. As I do not want to use a NAS drive as a server there might be a problem.
IMO there’s not much to finish about a pi 4 running moode audio etc. It took me 15 minutes to put the pi in the akasa gem case, insert sd card with moode and it was done:

http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?...Fanless Chassis&type_sub=Fanless Raspberry Pi

OP
F

Fleuch

Hi Boblo

It seems like our paths and opinions almost converge on hardware and diverge on use. At the moment streaming is a foreign land for me and my "prime directive" is to render files held on external USB hard drives, rather than stream from a NAS drive, and avoid a laptop handing the music files. The thought of running a NAS drive 24/7 (or whatever) is not appealing. Also I like to "roll" external DACs, which explains my preference for dual-mono configurations. Having seen the shots of the interior of the current Auralic devices it seems like a lot of expensive empty space inside the box, particularly when compared to the Aries Mini. It is difficult to know the difference between the Auralic devices, except the price, and there are more reasonable products from the same part of the globe, such as those from Lumin. Each of the Auralic boxes only do part of what the Aries Mini did at a fraction of the cost - see if you can find on on Amazon or eBay ?

With this in mind, the Lindemann Bridge should be a natural fit, but it still requires a controller app running on a tablet. It also points to using the Primo as a transport, rather than using the internal DAC. There are a number of favourable reviews, complete with an EISA product award. More than one review has noted that the Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra runs somewhat on the warm side. The exaSound Sigma Streamer looks interesting at € 685.12, from https://gear.nativedsd.com/ based in the Netherlands. The site has other similar devices on offer, such as the Sonore microRendu v1.5 (€ 469), and a number of other devices which are worth looking at. As exaSound is a direct sales company this is the only other supplier and has the advantage it trades in the EU. Compared to the Primo the S2 Ultra is "expensive", which is also true of the Lindemann Bridge; it is based on a generic motherboard while the other two are "bespoke". One of the attractive features of the Primo is that the Volumio OS is embedded and it functions as a local "hot spot" or as part of a network, so it can be accessed from any device capable of runnig a browser. From memory, which may be in error, the address is www.volumio.local. There is no need of additional controller apps as the Volumio interface is then available in the browser window. No additional bespoke apps or apps that can only run on iPads or iPhones!

There are also additional upgrades that can be added the to SoTM 200 series, which starts at a reasonable price, then you find with the addition of a number of other separate upgrades, a "tower" quickly forms adding significantly to size and cost. This is the reason for putting the SoTM devices to one side.

Like you I feel the S2 Ultra is overpriced, particularly given the insignificant cost of its basic building block, the RPi. On that basis along, in your shoes I would ask whether it really is a bargain. However, the benefit to me of "something in a box" is that if it fails there is a retailer or address to return it to. On the other hand if a RPi configuration does not work at the first time of asking, you are on your own. If I had grown up using Linux and understanding how to code, perhaps I might be looking towards a DIY set up - so I am willing to pay the cost penalty of getting someone to do it for me and put it in a convenient box. If you have the confidence to put the components together and make it work, it is an alternative pathway.

The Chord Qutest employs FPGA chips with great success and much approved by reviewers. The Volumio Motivo uses FPGA technology to buffer the incoming digital stream before handing it to the (internal) DAC or the digital outputs for external devices, The digital waveforms should be clean and virtually jitter free.

The cost of the Innuous devices is a disincentive, along with the perception that the software does not give the same control as Exact Audio Copy or similar packages. Again it is a solution "in a box".

Many thanks for sharing your experience of the SMSL SU-9. It was one of the devices on my wish list. However the signs for Gustard are not completely fortuitous as the manufacturer has no web presence and the only way to access drivers and other software is through retailers web sites. After reading Amir's review the data from testing the Gustard X-16 is on my wish list and is impressive on paper but will similar problems to the SMSL SU-9 be found in practice when you open the box? Products from Topping have robust build quality but there are postings where Topping DACs and headphone amplifiers have inexplicably "stopped, never to go again".

Coming full circle back to the question of a digital transport with streaming capability and also able to handle external hard drives. It really is an inside out type of approach where you start with all options and slowly discard the ones that fail to match your requirements. Somewhere else where we diverge is the sampling frequency as I am not sure I would notice the difference in sound quality between 192kHz and 384kHz, although there is an improvement between 44.1 kHz and 88.2kHz; in the same way you either notice an improvement in sound quality with MQA or you do not. Then there is the Roon question.

At this moment for a reasonable outlay I feel the Primo is better value for money than the S2 Ultra, as both are based on the same software package, and the Motivo is expensive for what it does, although it has a tablet-like graphical interface. What is needed is a digital transport designed from the same principles as any other audio-quality device, but not a DCS device that "costs the same as a car".

Attachments

• Quick-Start-Guide-Volumio.pdf
    241.1 KB · Views: 393

Axel Endriss

Just read the volumio motivo blurb. Looked interesting at first, then I saw something about using fgpa and ‘emancipating the Audio Quality outcome from the OS\CPU combination’. :facepalm:

What's wrong by the approach using FGPA?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What's wrong by the approach using FGPA?
I wouldn’t says it’s ‘wrong’, but as off the shelf dac chips have gone beyond the power needed to run audio applications including dsp I don’t see that it does anything except add cost and an aura of ‘not invented here’.

edited as I wrote ‘doc’ rather than ‘dac’.

Last edited:

Axel Endriss

I wouldn’t says it’s ‘wrong’, but as off the shelf socs are have gone beyond the power needed to run audio applications including dsp I don’t see that it does anything except add cost and an aura of ‘not invented here’

Let's see how the Motivo performs

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's see how the Motivo performs

So far they are predicting:
  • 104dB THD+N
  • 110dB SNR
Obviously up to Volumio if they want to take this route but it’s doesn’t appear to offer an improvement over other off the shelf solutions.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Lol, the Stack Link is John westlakes electronic design, it's the detox project that punters on the pfm forum sponsored that never materialised, the same thematic blocks are in his designs for the Project stream boxes too. Maybe theo helped with repackaging.

Axel Endriss

I wouldn’t says it’s ‘wrong’, but as off the shelf socs are have gone beyond the power needed to run audio applications including dsp I don’t see that it does anything except add cost and an aura of ‘not invented here’
To get you right: what you're saying is that an FPGA as a system on a chip (soc) demands more power as appropriate for audio applications?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To get you right: what you're saying is that an FPGA as a system on a chip (soc) demands more power as appropriate for audio applications?
What I’m really saying is something that Volumio say in their own press release:

‘Integrating Metaclock technology is being probably the biggest challenge Volumio Team has faced so far: since this technology has never been done before, in this way, there is no standard to follow nor any HOWTO nor literature. We are currently working hard to implement the very complex software integration to take the most out of this technology, without compromising on usability’.

This is the problem. Volumio is not there yet either in terms of its release engineering or its user experience. I am sympathetic-they are a small project and have set out to integrate multiple commercial (and therefore uncooperative) platforms into a single UI whilst maintaining releases for a couple of architectures. Their limited resources are already fighting on multiple fronts and are failing to achieve a standard of user experience that a non-technical customer base will accept for an appliance. I wish them luck, but in their shoes the last thing I would be doing is focusing on non standard hardware platforms.
They may of course envisage that the John Darkos of this world will love it and this will drive market penetration. All I can say is that we are already at the point where off the shelf socs and dacs can deliver performance beyond the thresholds of audibility. As the problems they have with their existing user experience are unrelated to the hardware that Volumio runs on, I don’t anticipate anything interesting to come out of this from a performance or use ability standpoint. I may be being harsh-maybe they are being forced by the John Darkos of this world to produce over priced , non generic hardware just to be taken seriously in a market where cost=better performance.

MOCKBA

I am trying to stay away of USB and computers, to save some environment. Just a router with connected 8Tb hard drive (you nailed me here since it connected using USB) is my solution. All players are capable to use wifi and samba. Just listen to There Will Never Be Another You
Eliane Elias now.

Axel Endriss

What I’m really saying is something that Volumio say in their own press release:

‘Integrating Metaclock technology is being probably the biggest challenge Volumio Team has faced so far: since this technology has never been done before, in this way, there is no standard to follow nor any HOWTO nor literature. We are currently working hard to implement the very complex software integration to take the most out of this technology, without compromising on usability’.

This is the problem. Volumio is not there yet either in terms of its release engineering or its user experience. I am sympathetic-they are a small project and have set out to integrate multiple commercial (and therefore uncooperative) platforms into a single UI whilst maintaining releases for a couple of architectures. Their limited resources are already fighting on multiple fronts and are failing to achieve a standard of user experience that a non-technical customer base will accept for an appliance. I wish them luck, but in their shoes the last thing I would be doing is focusing on non standard hardware platforms.
They may of course envisage that the John Darkos of this world will love it and this will drive market penetration. All I can say is that we are already at the point where off the shelf socs and dacs can deliver performance beyond the thresholds of audibility. As the problems they have with their existing user experience are unrelated to the hardware that Volumio runs on, I don’t anticipate anything interesting to come out of this from a performance or use ability standpoint. I may be being harsh-maybe they are being forced by the John Darkos of this world to produce over priced , non generic hardware just to be taken seriously in a market where cost=better performance.

Hi & thx Phorize,
I see this challenge too, and I now also understood what you meant when you said "off-the-shelf DAC chips have exceeded the required power": At first I misunderstood and thought you meant power in the sense of physically required power of an SoC (here in Watts for the FGPA), but now I see that you meant this in the sense of performance. And yes, you may be right regarding THD+N and SNR, but isn't the use of the FPGA about something completely different (reduction/elimination of jitter)?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi & thx Phorize,
I see this challenge too, and I now also understood what you meant when you said "off-the-shelf DAC chips have exceeded the required power": At first I misunderstood and thought you meant power in the sense of physically required power of an SoC (here in Watts for the FGPA), but now I see that you meant this in the sense of performance. And yes, you may be right regarding THD+N and SNR, but isn't the use of the FPGA about something completely different (reduction/elimination of jitter)?
Jitter is a solved problem too, at least audible jitter. What ever the motivation for motivo is, it can’t be anything to do with improving sound. Meanwhile the volumio install breaks every few releases and the qobuz integration sucks. Maybe they anticipate that a device like this will give them more weight with the big streaming companies which will help better integration.

egellings

Major Contributor
I use the BlueSound Node 2 streamer that works off my Wi-Fi, and it sounds good when it picks up streams using its Tidal decoder. Non tidal streams sound good, but not quite up there with the Tidal.

Top Bottom