• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB to SPDIF converter for Nvidia Shield Android TV

OP
B

boblo

@Morla : Forget the last question... My mistake :facepalm:

Personally I doubt if the difference is audible.
Vincent, sorry to bother you again, but I have a last question if you don't mind.

Well, I have changed my mind and now I would like to use a HDMI to SPDIF digital interface instead of the USB interface, because the Shield only has 2 USB ports and both could be needed at any time. However, on your web site you advise against using this interface because HDMI has mediocre audio. The Nvidia Shield TV has HDMI 2.0 compliant ports, so do you think that extracted audio will still be bad? In other words, will extracted audio be worse than audio from the USB interface? Note that I'm not looking for a HDMI extractor with analogue outputs (I don't want any more D/A converters), but a 'pure' HDMI to SPDIF adapter. I have found this on Audiophonics:

(Click the picture to go to the web site)

Do you know any other models?

Thank you very much indeed.

Last edited:

FennelT

If you want something that has been tested, user Blumlein 88 found that the SPDIF ViewHD HDMI audio extractor performed well.
You would just ignore the analog output.
I wish I had known about that test before I bought a cheap knockoff..

OP
B

boblo

If you want something that has been tested, user Blumlein 88 found that the SPDIF ViewHD HDMI audio extractor performed well.
You would just ignore the analog output.
I wish I had known about that test before I bought a cheap knockoff..
Thank you for your recommendation, but unfortunately it's unavailable on main stores (Amazon, eBay, AliExpress). Do you have any other HDMI->SPDIF digital interface?

damusic2me

Lots of nice tools, but i hopei can partially answer Op's question:
The cmedia chip is buggy on Nvidia Shield.
When it works, the sound quality is fine. better then the onboard sound solution anyway. both in the sound details, as well in channel separation.
I use it for stereo output, and for that, it works fine.
The used setup used to be: Nv-Shield, hdmi audio out TV, Optical to Stereo receiver (Harman KArdon AVR-147 + Jamo 606 speakers)
WIth the DAC, this is changed to NV-Shield -> USB out DAC -> analog in to Stereo Receiver
I bought https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32874974606.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.36104c4dWwI9oC
which has a cmedia cm6331A chip, and it works out of the box, (as long as you use a decent USB cable, cause cheap cables, lack wires) but not on the digital outputs, only the analog. I can get this to work on my windows laptop just fine, so it's not a hardware issue.
Occasionally, let's say twice a month, the DAC stops working, and i have to pull the usb/power out, put it back in, and it works fine again. This could be a shield issue, or a DAC issue, but i'm not intending to find out, i'm gonna order a DAC based on the Xmos 208 for the nvidia shield

OP
B

boblo

Lots of nice tools, but i hopei can partially answer Op's question:
The cmedia chip is buggy on Nvidia Shield.
When it works, the sound quality is fine. better then the onboard sound solution anyway. both in the sound details, as well in channel separation.
I use it for stereo output, and for that, it works fine.
The used setup used to be: Nv-Shield, hdmi audio out TV, Optical to Stereo receiver (Harman KArdon AVR-147 + Jamo 606 speakers)
WIth the DAC, this is changed to NV-Shield -> USB out DAC -> analog in to Stereo Receiver
I bought https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32874974606.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.36104c4dWwI9oC
which has a cmedia cm6331A chip, and it works out of the box, (as long as you use a decent USB cable, cause cheap cables, lack wires) but not on the digital outputs, only the analog. I can get this to work on my windows laptop just fine, so it's not a hardware issue.
Occasionally, let's say twice a month, the DAC stops working, and i have to pull the usb/power out, put it back in, and it works fine again. This could be a shield issue, or a DAC issue, but i'm not intending to find out, i'm gonna order a DAC based on the Xmos 208 for the nvidia shield
Thank you for your reply. I bought the Douk Audio U2 digital interface with XMOS XU208 chipset and works very well. But I'm seriously thinking in replacing it with a HDMI to SPDIF digital interface to make the USB port available:
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-...-hdmi-mhl-to-i2s-coaxial-optical-p-13419.html

It's a shame that it's out of stock now...

FennelT

Thank you for your recommendation, but unfortunately it's unavailable on main stores (Amazon, eBay, AliExpress). Do you have any other HDMI->SPDIF digital interface?

I expect that the ViewHD splitter without the analog outputs, which is in stock, would perform just as well: https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Newest-Extractor-Support-Vision/dp/B06XRT9VGL
or the 2x1 HDMI splitter with extractor: https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Splitter-Integrated-Extractor-VHD-1X2HSACi/dp/B00L0X2GIU

Edit: fixing links

NielsMayer

Just got a "Douk U2 Pro" ( http://amazon.com/gp/product/B08HN3VSF8 ) plugged it into the IIS input of Topping DX7 Pro without changing anything and it works perfectly. I'm using some no-name spare HDMI cable (the kind included with a computer monitor) between U2Pro and Dx7Pro. The U2Pro sounds like the source material. Tested it up to DSD 2.8Mhz and PCM 352.8k (*) ... so far, I have zero complaints, and even perhaps a slight sense of improvement (vs USB or Coax on Topping) that comes with spending $50 on audio gear, which is a cheap high for a placebo-effect that also incorporates a functional improvement in the overall soundsystem.

It'd be interesting if Amir measured the jitter on the outputs of this device as well as any measurable improvements gained in driving the IIS input on a DAC (vs SPDIF or optical inputs on the same device). Does the differential (LVDS) signalling used in IIS better isolate the computer USB port from the DAC? Theoretically, yes, but how does it measure?? Note, the U2Pro has IIS, SPDIF and Optical outputs that are simultaneously active, allowing all three connection methods to be tested against the same DAC. (I'm assuming the SPDIF output could simultaneously be sent to an SPDIF input on computer, to enable recording the audio stream).

I'm driving it directly off the USB port of its host computer (ODROID H2+) without the external 5V power input. I don't see the point of externally powering it -- if anything it'll just introduce an additional potential source of hum or interference jitter.

Functionally, one of the things i wanted is for the USB audio output to stay active when the computer is on and not need to switch a separate power supply for it. Prior, the Topping's auto-power off would also disconnect USB-audio, causing apps to reset or error while the audio is paused. So it's a "win win" because I finally make use of extra IIS input on the Topping, and simultaneously solve the Topping's auto-power-off USB disconnect problem on the host computer.

Linux reports following ALSA device:
Code:
card 1: DSD [HIFI DSD], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

(*) As Linux/ALSA was automatically converting my DSD 2.8Mhz file to PCM 352.8K, i needed to use Android and USB Audio Player Pro (connecting U2Pro via USB-C hub) to test the few DSD files I have. With this configuration, I was able to light the Red DSD LED on the U2Pro and the Topping showed "2.82 Mhz" DSD rate. I normally don't listen to DSD so this was just to test whether DSD rates are reliably transmitted between U2Pro and DAC. Using UAPP, the U2Pro also happily played back Tidal using UAPP's add-on MQA decoder (96k/24 was the highest resolution observed).

Top Bottom