• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB to Spdif converter (digital to digital converter)

md1972

Hi I´m currently searching a digital to digital converter USB to Toslink Spdif. (no DAC)
It shouldn´t be too expensive, max. $100~$350. It should be Windows 10 compatible.
What for audiophile choices are there for my budget?
Thanks a lot,
Michael

OP
md1972

md1972

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think there have been measurements done of the Gustard. The D10 measures better than the SMSL with the Modi 2 IIRC..

Are you sure you need it? Many DACs seem to be immune to any benefits such a device may provide. Different story ofc if you don't have USB input at all on your DAC :)

EDIT: I'm sorry! The Gustard was reviewed here. It also measured well with the Modi 2.

OP
md1972

md1972

This unit has only spdif coax out, I need spdif toslink out.

D

Deleted member 65

Got this and happy with it, might be a bit out of budget unless s/h can be found.

1532106117698.png

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Hi I´m currently searching a digital to digital converter USB to Toslink Spdif. (no DAC)
It shouldn´t be too expensive, max. $100~$350. It should be Windows 10 compatible.
What for audiophile choices are there for my budget?
Thanks a lot,
Michael
If I may ask, what DAC or device will you be connecting it to? Also, you mention internet radio, do you actually mean radio or streaming services? Only Toslink, or do you want other options for possible later use?

Not allot converters support Toslink. Probably best price vs performance would be the Gustard u12.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
md1972

md1972

The device is an small active speaker system: Magnat Magnasphere 33.
The speakers have the following inputs: 1xUSB,2xtoslink,2xline in
I want to use one of the toslink inputs because the USB port from this device is used from pc1.
I want to use another smaller convertible laptop to hear internet radio with usb-->toslink converter ->toslink in-->Magnat Magnasphere 33
I mean webradio, e.g. https://www.radiomonster.fm/ The stream has 320kbps.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
The device is an small active speaker system: Magnat Magnasphere 33.
The speakers have the following inputs: 1xUSB,2xtoslink,2xline in
I want to use one of the toslink inputs because the USB port from this device is used from pc1.
I want to use another smaller convertible laptop to hear internet radio with usb-->toslink converter ->toslink in-->Magnat Magnasphere 33
I mean webradio, e.g. https://www.radiomonster.fm/ The stream has 320kbps.
They are very nice wireless speakers.:)

That radio stream quality pretty good. The older Melodious mx u8 had Toslink and is probably a bit better than the Gustard, but it seems the current Melodious does not have Toslink. The Melodious is also more expensive, but still within your budget, if you can find an older one.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom