• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB to Optical/Spdif

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha yeah the iFi went straight back, if you're in the UK we probably had the same one!

My balanced DAC (M-DAC) is also fine, although I can use the RCA outs with no issues either.

I feel pretty confident the USB to optical is going to help so have a Douk U2 on the way from China. I will however test the Mojo via USB with my Windows PC when I'm home out of curiosity to see if it also has the high pitched squeal listening through the active speakers.

Also try running the Mac off battery (I had a similar issue with a Lenovo Thinkpad, but it only made the noise when connected to it's charger or docking station).

OP
L

Liberte

Also try running the Mac off battery (I had a similar issue with a Lenovo Thinkpad, but it only made the noise when connected to it's charger or docking station).
It's an iMac/desktop so no option for battery, but thanks for the info.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can test for ground loop issue.
disconnect the ground wire from either the iMac or the amplifiers.
that breaks the loop.
If it turns out to be indeed a ground loop issue , then a Topping HS01 is your guy!
you get full bit rate compatibility.
The Topping is a true galvanic isolator.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
Douk Audio U2 Pro:

USB out to TOSLINK in (on an old Mac laptop).

997 Hz (96KHz, 512K, CosineSum9-235, 87.5%):
Douk U2 Pro 997.png

Multi-tone (96KHz, 512K, Rectangular, 87.5%):
Douk U2 Pro Multi.png

SMPTE 60Hz/7KHz (96KHz, 512K, CosineSum9-235, 87.5%):
Douk U2 Pro SMPTE60Hz7KHz.png

19KHz/20KHz (96KHz, 512K, CosineSum9-235, 87.5%):
Douk U2 Pro 19K20K.png

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of the converters in this thread, do any support multichannel? I've checked the manuals on a few, but they don't seem to say one way or the other. Hoping to bitstream as high as coax or Toslink will allow. I think for non-HDMI that's DD+ 5.1, or in that neighborhood, which is fine as long as stereo 24/192 is also an option.

Last edited:
OP
L

Liberte

Which isolators have you tried? Some 'audiophile' ones don't really isolate (i'm looking at you iFi).

A cheap, ADUM4160 chip, isolator like this one worked for me, but it will limit your sample frequency to 96kHz...

The Topping HS01 is more expensive, but won't limit you to 96kHz...

You can test for ground loop issue.
disconnect the ground wire from either the iMac or the amplifiers.
that breaks the loop.
If it turns out to be indeed a ground loop issue , then a Topping HS01 is your guy!
you get full bit rate compatibility.
The Topping is a true galvanic isolator.

The Topping HS01 solved the issue of the high pitched squealing noise using the chain iMac > Mojo > Powered Speakers. :)

Top Bottom