• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB to HDMI digital converter with multichannel PCM support?

PHD

Hi

Is there a digital converter that will connect to a PC via USB (like a DAC) and show up as a sound device, but instead of a DAC, it will have coax/optical and HDMI (audio-only) outputs with multichannel PCM (and DSD if possible)?

I could not find any results for such a device online.

Thanks

AudiOhm

Last edited:

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A miniDSP 4x10 will do everything you want except the HDMI output. Not directly USB input but you can go PC>DAC>miniDSP = 8ch PCM output + toslink, coax and AES digital outs.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't that a sound card with digital output? HDMI output is very unlikely I think as usually people try to extract audio out of HDMI, not put into it. Could you maybe tell us what is it that you are trying to accomplish so that we can offer alternative potential solutions?

MCH

Major Contributor
Hi

Is there a digital converter that will connect to a PC via USB (like a DAC) and show up as a sound device, but instead of a DAC, it will have coax/optical and HDMI (audio-only) outputs with multichannel PCM (and DSD if possible)?

I could not find any results for such a device online.

Thanks
what does it mean HDMI only audio? i2s over HDMI? if yes, this might do almost everything you need:

• Multi-channel USB audio interface (up to 16x16)
  • Wide range of digital IO format depending on the loaded firmware: I2S (8x8) + TOSLINK(2x2), ADAT (8x8) or TDM (16x16 at 48/44.1k only)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
PHD

PHD

Thanks. I'll be more clear. As a result of some fault on the motherboard of my HTPC, when I play the music that is output to my AVR via HDMI (via Roon or Foobar2000), I get very loud pops/clicks when I start or stop playback. It only happens via the onboard HDMI out, not the onboard optical out. I don't want to replace the MB because then I'll have to replace the CPU and RAM. I cannot add an external graphic card, because I'll need a low-profile type, and those are either very low-performance or very noisy. So I was thinking of a temporary solution until I'll upgrade the rig. Use an external USB to HDMI (not I2S, HDMI audio with multichannel LPCM support). Unfortunately, all XMOS-based digital converters only have SPDIF and only support 2 channels.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. I'll be more clear. As a result of some fault on the motherboard of my HTPC, when I play the music that is output to my AVR via HDMI (via Roon or Foobar2000), I get very loud pops/clicks when I start or stop playback. It only happens via the onboard HDMI out, not the onboard optical out. I don't want to replace the MB because then I'll have to replace the CPU and RAM. I cannot add an external graphic card, because I'll need a low-profile type, and those are either very low-performance or very noisy. So I was thinking of a temporary solution until I'll upgrade the rig. Use an external USB to HDMI (not I2S, HDMI audio with multichannel LPCM support). Unfortunately, all XMOS-based digital converters only have SPDIF and only support 2 channels.
It’s maybe possible to use one of the adapters I posted above for audio while using your motherboard HDMI output for video.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, that is more clear indeed. So you got video and multichannel audio that you want to carry from your HTPC to your AVR. If you have a display port capable USB 3.1 port than a USB-C hub/dongle type of device that has HDMI output should solve your problem. If your HTPC does not have USB 3.1, then you can use an HDMI audio extractor to carry video to AVR via HDMI and carry audio via optical. This device for example claims to have support for 7.1 channel audio, might be that there are even cheaper alternatives available.

Reactions: PHD
OP
PHD

PHD

Ok, that is more clear indeed. So you got video and multichannel audio that you want to carry from your HTPC to your AVR. If you have a display port capable USB 3.1 port than a USB-C hub/dongle type of device that has HDMI output should solve your problem. If your HTPC does not have USB 3.1, then you can use an HDMI audio extractor to carry video to AVR via HDMI and carry audio via optical. This device for example claims to have support for 7.1 channel audio, might be that there are even cheaper alternatives available.
I do have a USB 3.1 port, and I did try the USB-c/thurnderbolt to HDMI, but when I plug it in, Windows tells me that my hardware does not support video over USB (it's a plain data USB 3, not a thunderbolt or DisplayPort compatible USB). HDMI audio extractor will only give me optical, which I already have on the motherboard, but it does not support Dolby Atmos or 192kHz PCM, or multichannel PCM.

Top Bottom