• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB to Bookshelf Speakers - Options?

Kaiede

I'm currently using some Klipsch RP-400Ms with my computer at the moment, and while I like the sound I'm getting, I'm a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place trying to get a DAC/AMP setup I like for this.

Right now I'm bouncing back and forth between a Topping D10 I've had hooked up to a Marantz M-CR612 (what I have been using to power these speakers to date), and a Topping MX3. The MX3 is, fine, but it's not as clean as I'd like. Mostly that it's not quite as clear in the midrange/treble as I'd like (cymbals for example). Maybe I'm just used to the Marantz. But the Marantz eats up a lot of desk space, and really all I care about is USB -> Speakers, so there's space being eaten up by all the built-in goodies.

I'm curious what options really exist here that are more transparent than the MX3. Headphone support is low priority, and budget is <1000$. Size and audio quality are the biggest priority. I could probably get away with a bigger setup if it means I can hide components under the desk with the UPS, although more hifi-shaped components.

I've looked around and it seems like the Topping, PS Audio, Peachtree and NAD offerings for these sort of Integrated Amps that are on the smaller side all wind up with somewhat similar audio quality based on the measurements I've seen here on the forums. So I'm feeling a little stuck.

I suppose I could do something like the DX3 Pro and a Power Amp of some kind, and let the DX3 Pro be the DAC/Pre-Amp on my desk. Something like the Schiit Vidar would keep me in budget, can sit on the floor, and is the right general shape for that sort of thing, but I suspect there's probably something better suited for my needs (I've been fine with these small ~30-40W amps, and so 100W RMS might be overkill here) floating around that I'm just not finding in the sea of eBay/Amazon headphone amps that come up when I search for power amplifiers?

Edit: Maybe something like the SMSL DA-8s hooked up to the D10? *shrug*

Last edited:
OP
K

Kaiede

I guess I’ve had some luck narrowing things down to a few options at a few different price points:
  • <200$: SMSL DA-8s (using D10 DAC)
  • ~400$: Yamaha WXA-50 (using D10 for USB->Optical)
  • ~1100$: DAC/Preamp & March Audio P122
It seems like what little information there is suggests the DA-8s/SA300 should at least do better than the MX3. If it’s good enough? Who knows. ‍♀️

The Yamaha seems like a good option. Main issue is I like getting a volume display for these digital volume knobs, so I can set volume before hitting play. Not seeing much else impressive in this price range?

The P122 starts getting into overkill range, but the size is about right, it is on sale, and it’s not Schiit. But I would need a separate pre-amp or a DAC with pre-amp functionality. Something like the M200, M500 or DX7s would probably do the trick so long as I didn’t kick any of them into pure line-out mode while listening. Seems like a route I can go with if I’m willing to buy something more complete.

magari

I'm interested in what you discover. I am also looking for a smaller amp with (ideally) a rich feature set. I like the quality of the Yamaha WXA-50 on paper as reviewed on ASR, but it was introduced in 2016, so I'm wondering if there is something newer/better. Performance wise, you might look at the Nord One SE INT-C NC252MP. I have not found the precise dimensions, but the specs would place it above the Yamaha, more in line with the March Audio P122. From the picture, it looks to be similar size to the Marantz M-CR612. Good luck!

OP
K

Kaiede

The Nord uses the same Hypex module in the P252, I believe, so yes, it should be similar to other Hypex stereo amp implementations. Weird they don’t list dimensions.

I wound up going the P122 route with a DAC/Pre. I went with March Audio for the customer service, which I have had to use, and I have no complaints. Pleasant to work with, despite the time zone differences.

OP
K

Kaiede

Wound up with a DX7 Pro. Overkill for this setup, for sure.

That said, I picked the DX7 Pro mostly because of how it switches between line level and preamp attenuated outputs via a menu you have to go out of your way to get access to. Last thing I need is to get a blast of line level coming through the P122 when I’m sitting a couple feet in front of the speakers. That and it had balanced outputs and a volume knob instead of buttons.

EDIT: The new SMSL SU-9 seems like a good fit for what I care about as well at a lower price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom