• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB to AES/EBU: the solution?

zym1010

Forum Donor
Just pulled the trigger on aliexpress with the AS318 option (I did more research and can confirm the box works with Mac). While I don’t have much high hope on it given that I cannot hear any difference between X-SPDIF 2 and my current cheap setup, its price and convenience probably can justify the purchase even without sonic improvement…

Got my AF200 yesterday. It can work on Mac as long as one disables the support for super high sampling rates (DSD1024, PCM1536, etc.) using a tool running on Windows. Nice little box.

DeepSpace57

Got my AF200 yesterday. It can work on Mac as long as one disables the support for super high sampling rates (DSD1024, PCM1536, etc.) using a tool running on Windows. Nice little box.

Can you check if it also works with iPhone + cck adapter if you have any?

zym1010

Forum Donor
Can you check if it also works with iPhone + cck adapter if you have any?
yes I just checked. it works with camera connection kit with a charging cable (for sure).

zym1010

Forum Donor
What is your current dac?

not sure if you are asking OP or me. I don’t use an external DAC any more, as the Genelecs take AES digital input.

Veri

Master Contributor
Got any instructions for that tool or how you managed to do that? :)

Thanks

zym1010

Forum Donor

zym1010

Forum Donor
Thanks for the warning, won't buy this "class compliant but not really" joke.
I think it's better to think of this box as class compliant but also able to extend the class if needed. The "class" that Mac complies with probably does not support PCM1536 or DSD1024 anyway.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Don't think that's really fair since they provide a "fix". If there is support and working drivers/software, it works.

zym1010

Forum Donor
Got any instructions for that tool or how you managed to do that? :)

Thanks

I asked the manufacturer on Taobao and they told me the fix via DM.

I think they should really put such info on their and their distributors' shops. The fix is not available publicly in any language (Chinese or English).

shal

Agree! Class Compliant is a definition that your device will perfectly work without any drivers (if the OS supports UAC2 )

If not, it's a lying .

The test : Linux that implements correctly UAC 2 (Usb Audio Capability 2)

OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I think it's better to think of this box as class compliant but also able to extend the class if needed. The "class" that Mac complies with probably does not support PCM1536 or DSD1024 anyway.
Hmmm? Unless I misread your post, it didn't work before disabling it without even feeding it those formats, right?
Don't think that's really fair since they provide a "fix". If there is support and working drivers/software, it works.
The point of class compliance is that it's system agnostic, providing a Windows-only software to fix it completely ruins that point.

zym1010

Forum Donor
Hmmm? Unless I misread your post, it didn't work before disabling it without even feeding it those formats, right?

The point of class compliance is that it's system agnostic, providing a Windows-only software to fix it completely ruins that point.

Yeah I think AF200 certainly fails your definition of class compliance. But I think there are at least two reasons why it should not be a big deal.

1. Right now, the support of super high sampling rates is enabled by default. The class compliance will be met if the support is disabled by default.
2. It looks like in general DSD1024 and PCM1536 are poorly supported on Mac. For example, Denafrips ARES II (https://www.denafrips.com/specs-ares) has to disable DSD1024/PCM1536 for Mac compatibility.

USB Firmware V3.4.1 - PCM1536 / DSD1024 supports disabled for compatibility with macOS

Last edited:

madakuska

Veri

Master Contributor
Found these, not sure if we can output the digital directly out of rpi using the dongle.
This could be the cheapest way getting the signal into Genelec? Not sure if it would work though.

I never had good luck with "Lusya" brand products :confused: The other one looks to be 16-bit only BTW.
As maybe mentioned earlier already, a Topping D10(s) with a coax>AES cable should work perfect and is cheap to run.

sleepyboy69

I need topping to do something that looks like a D30 pro, meaning, have a good preamp with a nice volume knob, a nice display like the d30 pro, and an AES out. I don't need DAC but I dont want to control volume from my source (laptop, phone, etc).

Please!

UCrazyKid

I need topping to do something that looks like a D30 pro, meaning, have a good preamp with a nice volume knob, a nice display like the d30 pro, and an AES out. I don't need DAC but I dont want to control volume from my source (laptop, phone, etc).

Please!
The D30 pro will only “pre-amplify” a digital signal it receives (it operates entirely in the digital domain). Why you want is a separate preamp or line stage. You could use the Topping PRE90, but it only allows for one source. You probably want a preamp with source switching.

ShadowNeko

Im selling my Xing AF200 if anyone wants since i changed my mind on buying the 8330a.

sleepyboy69

The D30 pro will only “pre-amplify” a digital signal it receives (it operates entirely in the digital domain). Why you want is a separate preamp or line stage. You could use the Topping PRE90, but it only allows for one source. You probably want a preamp with source switching.
Thanks! Unfortunately the PRE90 doesnt have AES out! And I'm looking to connect to s3v's which have AES3 in.

Any ideas?

Im selling my Xing AF200 if anyone wants since i changed my mind on buying the 8330a.
Hows the user interface on that one?

Top Bottom