• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB to AES/EBU: the solution?

Veri

Master Contributor
Was this ever measured?

* same device as OP but cheaper ($95): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32998637138.html
This one is a really new interface from XING audio, I own one. Really happy with this little box. There's some options for clocks but I picked the stock one. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001309244821.html

But isn't the output level too low that way, or does it not matter?
Wikipedia lists the level as 2-7V for AES and 0.5-0.6V for S/PDIF.
For a modern device this really shouldn't matter, never had any problems with compatibility.

Last edited:

Cortes

This is what I use for my Genelecs, the Gustard U16
https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...k-dsd512-dop-and-native-dsd-digital-interface

so far: all rock solid. Alwasys works, no issues with drivers. Construction is good as well with aluminium case and solid connectors.
Mine is 24h/365d on. Whether exists or not an audible difference with other converters I've not a clue. Wolfx posted here some measurements of this unit like jitter and noise, and was worst than a $70 unit he used.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Now I'm getting greedy, but is there one with a big knob to do digital volume control?

It's expensive but the RME ADI-2 PRO FS DAC/ADC - features AES/EBU output and volume control.

Keeps everything "pro audio " with the Genelecs !

Can use it to drive headphones nice too, so it's not just functioning as just USB to AES3 converter.

And it records ! You can feed it from your vinyl turntable and output to the Genelecs.

It comes with the special breakout cable

1605976434190.png

OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
It's expensive but the RME ADI-2 PRO FS DAC/ADC - features AES/EBU output and volume control.

Keeps everything "pro audio " with the Genelecs !

Can use it to drive headphones nice too, so it's not just functioning as just USB to AES3 converter.

And it records ! You can feed it from your vinyl turntable and output to the Genelecs.

It comes with the special breakout cable

View attachment 94888
I doubt this is available in the class compliant mode. Anyway, now that I know that GLM's volume accessories work without a computer connection, I have no need for this.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Anyway, now that I know that GLM's volume accessories work without a computer connection, I have no need for this.

Noted. just to help others, will be nice to clarify with RME, in case it helps others.

Actually I'm thinking of getting this for use with 8341A's - with RME doing volume control and performing headphone amp duties at my desk.

Kundroc

What do you mean? I'm sure @MC_RME can clarify
Routing options of the output signal are available in the class compliant mode also. It includes the option to send USB input to digital out and to headphones. However number of playback channels is limited to 2 in class compliant stereo mode; multi-channel mode is available if additional channels are required.

OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Routing options of the output signal are available in the class compliant mode also. It includes the option to send USB input to digital out and to headphones. However number of playback channels is limited to 2 in class compliant stereo mode; multi-channel mode is available if additional channels are required.
But you need something else than the UAC interface to do so, right? I doubt I'll be able to use this on GNU/Linux or BSD, basically.

Noted. just to help others, will be nice to clarify with RME, in case it helps others.

Actually I'm thinking of getting this for use with 8341A's - with RME doing volume control and performing headphone amp duties at my desk.
No worry, I didn't mean "close the thread, no need for it anymore".

Kundroc

But you need something else than the UAC interface to do so, right? I doubt I'll be able to use this on GNU/Linux or BSD, basically.".
No sure, I understand your requirement clearly. I just tested with an Android phone and a raspberry running volumio (debian). It works nicely.

Colonel Bogey

Exactly my setup! USB or CD via TOSLINK to a RME and then via AES to a pair of 8341 and a 7360 sub. No regrets ;-)

realdb

Does anyone know how to connect from iPhone usb to spdif/AES-EBU?

rll

This one is a really new interface from XING audio, I own one. Really happy with this little box. There's some options for clocks but I picked the stock one. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001309244821.html

For a modern device this really shouldn't matter, never had any problems with compatibility.

Thank you for the recommendation. I bought it from Taobao with AS318B. Somehow it sounds quite a bit better than my bluesound node 2i + SPDIF/AES adaptor. Maybe something wrong with the adaptor.

This is the adaptor I bought:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.17612e8dL9qmw6&id=633090626458&_u=6ceqaooe144

zym1010

Forum Donor

does AF200 work with Mac out of the box? I cannot find the info on taobao or any Chinese website.

Veri

Master Contributor
does AF200 work with Mac out of the box? I cannot find the info on taobao or any Chinese website.
Maybe there is new firmware. But on my Mac the system locks up upon plugging it in. I read similar reports on Denafrips devices who use XING OEM. It's likely fixed already but I can't read Chinese on how to get some latest version.

So tread carefully, there might be issues on OSX, might not. Sorry I can't provide better help.

zym1010

Forum Donor
Maybe there is new firmware. But on my Mac the system locks up upon plugging it in. I read similar reports on Denafrips devices who use XING OEM. It's likely fixed already but I can't read Chinese on how to get some latest version.

So tread carefully, there might be issues on OSX, might not. Sorry I can't provide better help.

Thanks for the input! No problem, I was worried about the compatibility of AF200 on Mac so I decided to try Matrix X-SPDIF 2 instead, which should be no worse than AF200 based on measurements I’ve seen so far.

Top Bottom