• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

usb microphone for windows 10

ta240

Major Contributor
What is a good usb microphone to sit next to the laptop for 'zoom' type meetings that will sound better than the built in one and work with windows 10. I see a fair amount of comments on products that updates to windows 10 stops them and we tried one that was at way too low of a level with windows 10. I know we could run an equalizer type program in the background to boost the level but it needs to be just flip open the laptop and start sending. Worrying about if the equalizer program is running in the background would lead to the microphone just not being used. That seems to be a windows 10 driver issue but I haven't found any usb mics that have their own driver.

Around $150 would be preferred.

whazzup

Addicted to Fun and Learning
FWIW, I use my umik-1 with skype and didn't seem to have issues....though I was crushed no one complimented my obviously better sounding voice...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
What is a good usb microphone to sit next to the laptop for 'zoom' type meetings that will sound better than the built in one and work with windows 10. I see a fair amount of comments on products that updates to windows 10 stops them and we tried one that was at way too low of a level with windows 10. I know we could run an equalizer type program in the background to boost the level but it needs to be just flip open the laptop and start sending. Worrying about if the equalizer program is running in the background would lead to the microphone just not being used. That seems to be a windows 10 driver issue but I haven't found any usb mics that have their own driver.

Why bother with a USB mic for zoom, just use a condenser mic plugged into the mic socket. No drivers to worry about- ever.

OP
ta240

ta240

Major Contributor
do all condenser mics need their own power supply? The ones I've seen so far need that.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
do all condenser mics need their own power supply? The ones I've seen so far need that.

Usually, there is a DC bias on the 3.5mm mic socket on a laptop/computer to power a typical electret capsule based condenser mic. Obviously not for 48V phantom powered pro mics.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For video conferences I would suggest using a headset (phones + mic) or in ear monitors with microphone. 1More IEMs are excellent value ime.

lukyjohnson

The Best USB microphone for windows 10

1. Blue Snowball.
  2. Blue Snowflake.
  3. CAD U37.
  4. Floreon BM 800.
  5. Apogee Mic 96k.
  6. Rode Podcaster.
  7. Audio Technica ATR2100.
  8. Blue Spark Digital Lightning.

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For video conferences I would suggest using a headset (phones + mic)
Yes! Then at least you won't be responsible for all those howl-rounds and weird echoes that can be the curse of online meetings!

Top Bottom