• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB isolator

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Generally not. These isolators are mostly used for safety and/or equipment protection reasons when high voltages are present. They drop the maximum communication speed to USB-1.0 full speed (12 Mbit/s).
Capture5.JPG

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
The obvious one IMHO is that you don't buy this stuff because you have an audio PC.
You buy an isolator if you have some entry level DAC with known insufficient isolation at the USB port.
Otherwise you are buying something to solve a problem you don't have.

renevoorburg

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hello, is this the correct choice for an audio pc ?

Advantech BB-UH401

It will limit you to 24/96 files.
If you want more, you gotta pay more and ensure the isolator can do 480Mbs.
When you only play CD or youtube etc it'll probably work.
You could be introducing DAC recognizing problems though.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
If what you are connecting draws power from its USB input, this device's specification says it limits current to 100ma.

5V @ 100ma = 1/2Watt

I have an extender that limits to 200ma, and was insufficient in some cases. Adding a powered hub after the extender cable was necessary.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The obvious one IMHO is that you don't buy this stuff because you have an audio PC.
You buy an isolator if you have some entry level DAC with known insufficient isolation at the USB port.
Otherwise you are buying something to solve a problem you don't have.

Yes, the OP should buy an isolator that he can return, then do a blinded test to see if he does hear anything...

OP
S

sotiridaf

I don't think that most dac's even the most expensive one have galvanic isolation, so sometimes ground loop is an issue.

The think i don't know is why some studio monitors have this issue and others not, i mean picking up interference from ground.

I know that i can stick to monitors that don't have this issues, but then again why this problem is bigger when a high end pc is at heavy load ?

Anyone has a diagram of usb signal when a pc with high end graphic card is at heavy load, how much noise it has ?

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Since there are too many factors that come into play it's probably best to measure it for the specific scenario.

Top Bottom