• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

timelessound

Can't choose - want to listen with cable/ wireless:​

Fanmusic Topping G5 <> iFi Audio xDSD Gryphon Review​

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just ordered a Tanchjim Space as an unnecessary, impulse purchase... Let's see if it replaces my TempoTec Sonata E44 for driving the Dusk.
Still waiting for the Space to ship. They are selling the dongle on Aliexpress but noone has it yet, factory must be behind schedule or something...

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't. I have both. But the 5k is more versatile due to eq and both balanced and single ended.
Just an observation:
On a USB dongle, where power supply is limited and hence power, why even include SE output?
Save the space, go balanced only, and use a large capacitor to help current delivey in the space saved for socket alone.
Ain't that more practical?

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Ken Tajalli because you'll barely sell any. 2.5/4.4 only just isn't practical enough for most.
Though from a designer's perspective it is kind of the perfectionist's approach.
See E1DA 9038S. 2.5mm Bal only and can output 600mW per channel into 16Ω.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Ken Tajalli because you'll barely sell any. 2.5/4.4 only just isn't practical enough for most.
Though from a designer's perspective it is kind of the perfectionist's approach.
See E1DA 9038S. 2.5mm Bal only and can output 600mW per channel into 16Ω.
See you do know about the E1DA ball only!
All it takes is a good objective review, by somebody respectable, and they sell.
Specially if the performance redeems it.
The E1DA wouldn't have sold either if it wasn't for sites such as ....

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just glanced at the internal pictures.
It can possibly be DIY'ed!
I bet a 6.3V 1000uF cap can fit inside by removing the 3.5mm socket.

NihilGuru

Good day!
I suffer with the choice of a portable USB DAC. There are problems everywhere.
I would like a DAC at the sound level of a Cozoy Rei and above, with a regular 3.5 jack and a balanced jack with a sane price and availability. It would be nice to be with MQA. Also, to work normally, without falling off the sound.

Luxury Precision W2 - good, but it costs a lot, although I might spit and buy

Topping G5 is also expensive, although it is super by measurements, but the rapid decline in the frequency response is annoying, and also heavy and large

Hidizs S9 pro - seems to be good, but few reviews

Fiio KA2 - seems to be good in terms of measurements, but there are problems with distortion with low-impedance headphones
Fiio KA1, KA3 - few reviews

Moondrop dawn is good, but balanced is much better than unbalanced

Maybe I missed some other DACs. In general, I need your's recomendations and advice.

P.S. My headphones: Campfire Audio Andromeda (1 version).
Tanchjim Space measured by WolfX-700
Compact, excellent measurements, aesthetically pleasing, volume keys, balanced with 4.4, commensurate cost.

Cosa vuoi di più dalla vita? Un Amaro Lucano?

What more do you want from life? a bitter Lucan? (Italian commercial)

Top Bottom