• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB DAC/AMP Combo - ifi Zen DAC or Topping dx3 pro

AaBoy

I will add the Sennheiser HD660S (refurbished for 300€) to the current stack:
  • Bose QC35
  • Beyerdynamic Tyger
  • Koss KPH30i
  • Sennheiser GSP 300
Because of the addition of HD660S, I would need to add a headphone DAC/AMP combo. The combo would need to have a USB connection (using a KVM).

As mentioned in the title, I’m looking at the ifi Zen DAC or Topping dx3 pro. Both are below 250€ (my limit) here in Europe. Sadly Schiit and JDS Atom stacks are not an option here.

Is there any other option that I can get on German Amazon/EU? Or any of these two options a clear favorite?

I looked at the Fiio K5 pro, but I can’t stand the design, and it’s not on the contender list.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think both of the listed options are good to get. I would lean towards Topping dx3 pro since it measures better than Ifi combo.

OP
A

AaBoy

Thank you for the responses.

I had some time (not always a good thing) and was looking to maybe just bit the bullet and step up a tier above. I was looking at the Topping A50s and maybe pairing it with the E30 or D10s.

But here I have a question. Could I use the Topping A50s and use the Apple (or similar) USB dongle to act as a DAC, or will it produce too little power?

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@AaBoy I think it's not a bad idea to use the A50s with an apple dongle. I personally use the Topping NX4 with a dongle for my mobile use, as far as desktop goes i think having a good dac such E30 feeding the A50s would be ideal.

OP
A

AaBoy

Thank you for the approval. The plan down the road is to add a dedicated DAC. It will have to have Bluetooth so that I can just seat in the chair and listen to music

Top Bottom