• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB current output for a DAC

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I am considering buying a keyboard with 2 USB slots. It is written "don't plug a hard drive or DVD player or anything needing more than 200 mA" on the keyboard USB slots.
Would a DAC, for instance a Audioengine D3, work properly?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Hi,

I am considering buying a keyboard with 2 USB slots. It is written "don't plug a hard drive or DVD player or anything needing more than 200 mA" on the keyboard USB slots.
Would a DAC, for instance a Audioengine D3, work properly?
Audioengine's own spec for the D3 says
Power requirement
USB 5V DC, 200mA
So that's exactly borderline. Maybe the power draw of different headphones would be crucial?

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ok, this is all about personal preference. I would never try to use that USB for anything except mice or joysticks. What are you trying to achieve? Great keyboard and as few cables as possible? Computer -> KB -> DAC -> headphone/line out?
Are you playing twitchy FPS? I have, to fight the cable monster, opted for an wireless Logitech KB with back-light and a Logitech G602 wireless mouse.
All my audio is connected to my HAD-1 DAC/AMP, 2.1 speaker system, ChromeCast Audio and headphones. Only one cable on my desktop.

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would allow me to put the PC further from my desk. Headphones cables is short for 1more Triple Drive Over-ear.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why not just get a USB extender, one with a female socket on the end?
Or a extension cable for the headphone, a few more meters doesn't matter.

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or a extension cable for the headphone, a few more meters doesn't matter.
Yes it would be a good solution.
But if 200 mA were enough it wouldn't cost me 1 cent more !

Top Bottom