• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB Cable Subjective Review: 'you don't say!'

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Landed on this USB cable review: http://passionforsound.lachlanfennen.com/massive-usb-comparison-test/

He first reviews a generic black cable. And then a generic USB cable with clear jacket. He writes this about it:

"This cable is another generic cable that came with a printer or similar device, but this time it has a clear insulation that shows the silver-coloured shielding underneath. I definitely didn’t expect any difference between two generic cables with no special technologies to speak of, but I was shocked to find that the sound from the clear cable was actually more enjoyable than the black generic cable. Instantly, the clear cable had a sense of clarity and definition to it that was more appealing than the black cable. The black cable sounded a bit flat and blunt in comparison."
What are the odds that a "clear" cable sounds "clear" to someone? The subliminal marking message in clear cable works excellently here. So much so that it was hard for him to resist using the word clear to describe what he heard.

Reminds of a SATA hard disk cable review which unfortunately I can no longer find. He found the the black cable to have "dark background."

If I were writing these reviews I would do my best to not use such direct associations. It is such an indicator of being affected by the look of a device.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Seriously, do you believe the guys who write this shit really believe it?
Or are they writing what they think the market wants to hear, ringing the dinner bell and collecting the check.
Then laughing all the way to the bank?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
What are the odds that a "clear" cable sounds "clear" to someone? The subliminal marking message in clear cable works excellently here. So much so that it was hard for him to resist using the word clear to describe what he heard.

Reminds of a SATA hard disk cable review which unfortunately I can no longer find. He found the the black cable to have "dark background."

If I were writing these reviews I would do my best to not use such direct associations. It is such an indicator of being affected by the look of a device.
Not just a look. What if they cannot see but know that the wiring is silver and not copper?

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A/B'ing USB cables are a cinch:

Get two DACs, use sound mix feature in the Sound Control Panel and send the data to both DAC's either go into a Pre Amp with A/B or a pair of headphones.

Perfect blinded setup.

I'm going out to Denver in a few weeks to a believer of Ethernet cabling affecting sound. I'll being doing the equivalent with a managed L3 switch were we can have two cables hanging off the switch and into the computer and disconnect them at whim without the evaluator being any the wiser.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Not just a look. What if they cannot see but know that the wiring is silver and not copper?
Same deal, EVERY true audiophile knows silver sounds brighter than copper.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey, I have a rose tinted USB 2.0 cable with crimson ends. I kept it all these years as it lets me see the shield (via a semi-transparent rose tint) and I can get that rose colored sound effect. It came with a Canon printer, but who needs rose tinted bits on their photoprinter.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Which reminds me, I need to make a USB de-evilizer that uses tubes. Maybe some 6DJ8s. They worked great in my Roger Modjeski phono pre. They were used in Oscopes and TV tuners. Might seem a little low bandwidth for USB, but that will only ensure smooth rounded musical bits make it thru. The lack of response will serve to filter and condition all the evil glitchy ghz PC noise upstream of them. I am thinking I can make this work for about $2k. Heck real a̶u̶d̶i̶o̶p̶h̶o̶o̶l̶s̶ audiophiles, will save most of that not having to be so picky about the USB cable once my all tube de-evilizer is in circuit.

Or maybe I should not give evil people ideas about de-evilizers.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unfortunately for all of us and our sanity, now there are HDMI cables with actual ICs built into the cable that adds actual anti-aliasing digital processing to the video signal.

No doubt the audio cable fetishists would use that as their favorite ammo to their "cables does matter" rhetoric, even when putting active electronics to passive cables at the same standard is utterly intellectually dishonest.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately for all of us and our sanity, now there are HDMI cables with actual ICs built into the cable that adds actual anti-aliasing digital processing to the video signal.

No doubt the audio cable fetishists would use that as their favorite ammo to their "cables does matter" rhetoric, even when putting active electronics to passive cables at the same standard is utterly intellectually dishonest.

Nothing unfortunate about it. I would argue that it's not strictly an HDMI cable with active electronics in it. And it does do something demonstrable that can pass a blinded test.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing unfortunate about it. I would argue that it's not strictly an HDMI cable with active electronics in it. And it does do something demonstrable that can pass a blinded test.

Well you know actually you couldn't do the test blinded. You have to see the picture. :p

egellings

Major Contributor
Cables--When Godzilla does a facepalm, you know the fail is epic. He did one.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
1582427882098.png

the you being the USB cable maven, of course -- just to be (heh-heh-heh) clear.

egellings

Major Contributor
I think the HF garbage will pass right through the tubes' interelectrode capacitances. I also prefer Godzilla's facepalm; when he does it you know the fail is epic.

Top Bottom