• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB-C cables: active / passive / E-Mark chips effect on audio quality?

hyperknot

I have a Macbook Pro M1 and I'd like to connect my USB-C desktop DAC to it. My question is that there are a zillion types of USB-C cables and I'm totally confused about them.

Basically, all I'd need is a very simple USB 2.0 data cable with Type-C plugs on both ends. What I can see in the shops on the other hand are all kinds of combinations of:

- 60W / 100W
- USB 2.0 / 3.0 / 3.1
- active / passive
- with / without E-Mark chip

For me, the best would be a plain and simple USB 2.0 data cable. My basic instinct is telling me that it's better without any active chip / E-Mark chip in the cable, as it's totally not needed but can possibly introduce some problems. But I don't know this area. Can you help me?

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just get a cheap USB 2.0 data cable. Some DACs don't play well with more advanced usb-c cables.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

dartinbout

I have it on firm authority they only sound as good as how much they cost. Veil lifting doesn't come cheap.

OP
H

hyperknot

Just go for the amazon basics branding. They will work fine.
Thanks for the linked products. So basically the key is to look for a USB 2.0, 60W or less variant. Do I understand right that these cables are passive, without any chip?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the linked products. So basically the key is to look for a USB 2.0, 60W or less variant. Do I understand right that these cables are passive, without any chip?
If they don't mention being active, they will be passive.

OP
H

hyperknot

If they don't mention being active, they will be passive.

But aren't all 100W cables by definition active? That's the most confusing part for me. Most of them don't mention they are active, yet, the new Anker cable for example is 100W.

staticV3

Master Contributor
But aren't all 100W cables by definition active? That's the most confusing part for me. Most of them don't mention they are active, yet, the new Anker cable for example is 100W.
100W means the cable uses large gauge 5V and GND wires and has an e-marker chip to identify itself as such to USB chargers/chargees.

An active USB cable has more advanced circuitry inside that boosts the USB signal to carry data over longer distances than regular cables are capable of.

OP
H

hyperknot

100W means the cable uses large gauge 5V and GND wires and has an e-marker chip to identify itself as such to USB chargers/chargees.

An active USB cable has more advanced circuitry inside that boosts the USB signal to carry data over longer distances than regular cables are capable of.

But that chip has to do something with the data, or do they have different wires to communicate that? I mean why isn't the E-Marker chip considered active?

staticV3

Master Contributor
But that chip has to do something with the data, or do they have different wires to communicate that? I mean why isn't the E-Marker chip considered active?
For historic reasons. The e-marker is basically just a more advanced 56k pull-up resistor, and so despite the active nature considered part of a passive USB cable.
"Active" has always been reserved for cables that boost the signal strength.

OP
H

hyperknot

I found a good resource from Benson Leung:

1663375801499.png

"Cables 2-6 are required by the USB specification to include an electronic marker chip which contains vital information about the cable."

So basically if I want a cable which is "just a bunch of electric wires" then my only option is "USB 2.0 rated at 3A".

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I found a good resource from Benson Leung:

View attachment 231373
"Cables 2-6 are required by the USB specification to include an electronic marker chip which contains vital information about the cable."

So basically if I want a cable which is "just a bunch of electric wires" then my only option is "USB 2.0 rated at 3A".
Can't forget about Thunderbolt 4. My new motherboard has it onboard. It's current and upcoming.

Top Bottom