• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB-C analog audio and / or portable DAC

Al Batar

Hi, I'm new here and I need to buy a additional adapter USB-C to jack 3.5 mm for my new phone (a Xiaomi MI 10T Pro). I've found this forum, full of interesting reviews and comments, and hope I could get here tips and /or answers to some questions.

The first is : does anybody knows if my phone is compatible with analog audio over USB-C ? And how one can find a silly adapter ? I don't know if chinese adapters sold at 2 or 3 $ do include cheap DAC or not. Additionally, I'm interested in USB-C adapters allowing both audio communication AND charging simultaneously and wonder if they also rely or not on DAC chip.

Lastly, I use a Sennheiser Momentum 1 and 2 (low impedance, I've forgetten if it was 32 or 18 ohms) and currently own a portable DAC (Encore mDSD) which I find quite good (but I have no other DAC to be used in side-by-side comparison !)... and it takes too much place in the pocket. I've started to search for another DAC, with smaller footprint. As I read this forums, it appears that the following products should be interesting for me :
  • Hidizs S9 (should I wait for the incoming Pro version ?) ;
  • Hidizs S8 or its clone Sonata HD Pro ;HiBy FC3 ;
  • E1DA #9038D.
Reading some customers' review on AliExpress, I found a guy saying the E1DA 9038D was quite power-demanding to let it express its full qualities, and that with more power, the DAC was sounding far more better (see 2nd comment here). Would it be a problem with low impedance headphones ?

And does anyone sincerely believe that I will be able to ear a major difference between any of these products ? I'm quite old now (47) and I do know my ears are not anymore what they used to be ;-). And, to be complete, I'm specially demanding on the quality of the tones of analog instruments (I play cello, I love the « matter » of a sound), I hate cramped or metallic sounds (eg. violins on mean products), skimpy soundstage. But I also prefer transparency over artificial warmness.

Thanks for reading this far, and more thanks in advance for any piece of advice.

AB

PS : my apologize for all English flaws, it's not my native language...

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hidizs S9 (should I wait for the incoming Pro version ?) ;
Wait for the S9 Pro to be sure about what you get.
Hidizs S8 or its clone Sonata HD Pro
Don't seem that reliable...
E1DA #9038D
I think the S9 is a more versatile product, with both balanced and unbalanced output and more power.
Reading some customers' review on AliExpress, I found a guy saying the E1DA 9038D was quite power-demanding to let it express its full qualities, and that with more power, the DAC was sounding far more better (see 2nd comment here). Would it be a problem with low impedance headphones ?
Either of these 3 DACs will be quite demanding regarding power. My S9 drains 12% per hour of listening out of my 4080mAh Pixel 5.
And does anyone sincerely believe that I will be able to ear a major difference between any of these products ?
Your headphones aren't SOTA ones for sure, nor they are hard to drive. Yet, we don't know about how poor the performance out of your Xiaomi is. I would say: the best way to know is to try by yourself!;)

Top Bottom