• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB Audio to Toslink (S/PDIF)

FireKahuna

I have an Audeze Mobius headphone which outputs USB Audio Class 2, I'm wondering if there is a way to take USB audio and convert it into S/PDIF to use with my LG C1 TV, Digital to Digital basically. Is this even a thing? Cant seem to find something on this lines. Even if its just 2 channel.

The headphone also draws power from USB, so idk if something exists with its own power supply

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Topping makes an inexpensive DAC that has a USB input and S/PDIF output in addition to the converted output. Model # escapes me at the moment.

MCH

Major Contributor
so the headphone is acting as a bluetooth receiver and outputting through USB or does it have wifi connectivity? (i am curious, wasnt aware there are headphones that output audio)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I have an Audeze Mobius headphone which outputs USB Audio Class 2, I'm wondering if there is a way to take USB audio and convert it into S/PDIF to use with my LG C1 TV, Digital to Digital basically. Is this even a thing? Cant seem to find something on this lines. Even if its just 2 channel.

The headphone also draws power from USB, so idk if something exists with its own power supply
There's a ton of these out there. Here's a typical one. I have an older version and it works perfectly.

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
wasnt aware there are headphones that output audio)
All gaming headphones equipped with microphones do this. The Mobius is marketed as a gaming headphone. The microphone is removable though, so can be used without.

Reactions: MCH

phofman

OK, so the headphones are a regular USB audio device with playback and capture capability. The headphones must be connected to some USB host (basically a computer) which will have SPDIF output (as another sound device). Basically any USB soundcard with SPDIF output will do, as an example.

The computer must capture samples from the USB headphones and play them to SPDIF soundcard. If both soundcards use same clock (e.g. both are USB devices in adaptive mode, connected to the same USB controller via USB hub, internal or external), simple capture -> play will do. If the soundcards have independent clocks, the stream must be adaptively resampled to align the two clock domains.

All requirements can be served e.g. by an RPi running alsaloop or camilladsp in linux.

Top Bottom