• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB audio through powered USB with analog i/o?

rgfuller

Greetings from the amateur experimental avionics hackers and users community. I'm looking for the simplest DAC device that can provide power and audio through a single USB cable to an Android or iOS tablet like this one, and provide a single analog mic/phone interface. A single-channel, non-switched interface would be fine. Stereo would be ok too. It could be powered by 5v or 12v DC.

Any ideas?

mansr

Major Contributor

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Last edited:
OP
R

rgfuller

Do you really need an audio device that provides power to the host? I've never heard of such a thing, all you'll find is bus-powered soundcards starting from lowly single-chip USB dongles starting at less than 10 bucks a pop. It's always the peripheral that is being powered by the host, never vice versa.
Yes, I need a device that provides power to the host. The host is a battery-powered tablet that needs external power for continuous use and charging. I think what I'll probably need is an intermediate host like a raspberry pi with a fob, if that would work.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are USB power banks with integrated hub. You'll need a USB audio adapter (with input and output).

OP
R

rgfuller

There are USB power banks with integrated hub. You'll need a USB audio adapter (with input and output).

Interesting.. so the USB audio adapter attached to this thing would behave as though it were connected directly to the tablet, right? Would Android support that? Would it require some kind of loopback software on the tablet to allow a single usb port to provide both digital audio, and processing support for the external DAC? Either way, if this would work then any powered USB hub would also work, right? There'd be no need for the battery since it could be powered from the aircraft power bus.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the battery isn't needed, I'd think @mansr's suggestion in post #3 may make more sense. Below is the official Belkin compatibility list.

compatibility_list.png

OP
R

rgfuller

If the battery isn't needed, I'd think @mansr's suggestion in post #3 may make more sense. Below is the official Belkin compatibility list.

View attachment 172410
A battery is not needed, but external power is needed, so the item in post #3 would not be sufficient. Maybe a powered USB hub that back-feeds power (this is usually seen as a defect) to the host would work.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Maybe a powered USB hub that back-feeds power (this is usually seen as a defect) to the host would work.
If the powered hub and the phone/tablet support USB Power Delivery that's an intended use case. It's how USB-C based laptop docking stations operate - powering the laptop over the same USB-C cable that provides the data connection to the peripherals.

raif71

Major Contributor
Not necessarily with USB Type C. I still doubt there are any audio devices capable of providing power, though. What the OP needs is something like this: https://www.belkin.com/uk/adapters/audio-charge/connect-usb-c-audio-charge-adapter/p/p-f7u081/
I wonder if this can be used in reverse ie connect the usb-c (via female usb-c to type-b male cable) to Topping d10 series DAC. The usb-c femaile connected to usb power/powerbank and the other usb-c female connected to a playing device such as phone or DAP.

Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor
A battery is not needed, but external power is needed, so the item in post #3 would not be sufficient. Maybe a powered USB hub that back-feeds power (this is usually seen as a defect) to the host would work.
That's exactly what the Belkin device is for. The USB C plug connects to the phone/tablet, one of the sockets to the DAC, and the other socket to the charger.

Top Bottom